C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCS code & other issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:34 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default TCS code & other issue

Hello folks,

I decided to be nice and let the wife drive halfway back when we were bringing the car back from the shop after a clutch replacement. As I followed her, I noticed the tail lights and rear side markers were flickering a bit as the car went over bumps. Possibly related, about halfway home the car threw the service abs, service traction control and threw TCS C1236. Possibly related?

The car has sat outside in the Pacific Northwest rain all winter. So a bit of corrosion could be a factor?

Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting would be great! Thanks all
Old 03-27-2015, 05:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Trios
Hello folks,

I decided to be nice and let the wife drive halfway back when we were bringing the car back from the shop after a clutch replacement. As I followed her, I noticed the tail lights and rear side markers were flickering a bit as the car went over bumps. Possibly related, about halfway home the car threw the service abs, service traction control and threw TCS C1236. Possibly related?

The car has sat outside in the Pacific Northwest rain all winter. So a bit of corrosion could be a factor?

Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting would be great! Thanks all
Since you didn't get a service active handling message it looks like your car is a 2000 or earlier car without active handling. That code indicates you have a low system voltage applied across the EBCM. First thing to check is the electronic ground connection at G108 over by the battery and G104 ground location. A poor ground will cause a reduction in voltage across a circuit. Also check the alternator to be sure it is producing sufficient voltage. If you had lights flickering that could be an indication of an alternator problem. On the other hand, since there are so many ground points lights flickering caused by a bad ground wouldn't necessarily indicate a bad ground was causing the EBCM problem.

Bill
Old 03-27-2015, 11:34 PM
got-20z
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If my car sat out in that moisture that long I know the grounds under the hood for sure would need cleaned, and probably other places too. I have t clean those about 3 times a year because my fog-lights always stop working

So yeah, I would say check grounds for corrosion like you mentioned.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:54 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Since you didn't get a service active handling message it looks like your car is a 2000 or earlier car without active handling. That code indicates you have a low system voltage applied across the EBCM. First thing to check is the electronic ground connection at G108 over by the battery and G104 ground location. A poor ground will cause a reduction in voltage across a circuit. Also check the alternator to be sure it is producing sufficient voltage. If you had lights flickering that could be an indication of an alternator problem. On the other hand, since there are so many ground points lights flickering caused by a bad ground wouldn't necessarily indicate a bad ground was causing the EBCM problem.

Bill
It's a 2003, and my wife just neglected to mention the Active Handling message (I just asked her and she says it did say to service that, too).

I'll go out and scrub up my grounds. The alternator has been putting out a very steady 13.5-14v through the past couple drives (been watching it).

Thanks folks.

Get notified of new replies

To TCS code & other issue

Quick Reply: TCS code & other issue