C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric exhaust cutouts

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 11:47 AM
BURL
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Electric exhaust cutouts

I'm considering adding cutouts to the XS Power exhaust system (long tubes and 3" pipes) that was a group buy here a few days ago. Twice I've tried to contact Doug's Headers for some questions about their cutouts but they don't seem to be replying to email. Looks like a bad sign for Doug's business or at least the way it's being run.

Any of you guys have info on Doug's vs the other brands and do you have a preference?? I seem to see people on the net (outside of forum) having trouble with some brands of cutouts.

Anyone with experience with cutout and the XS Power system?? Do you know if I'll need the oval low profile cutouts or will standard round cutouts work on the C5 with the XS Power 3" pipes.

Appreciate any advise.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:40 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by BURL
I'm considering adding cutouts to the XS Power exhaust system (long tubes and 3" pipes) that was a group buy here a few days ago. Twice I've tried to contact Doug's Headers for some questions about their cutouts but they don't seem to be replying to email. Looks like a bad sign for Doug's business or at least the way it's being run.

Any of you guys have info on Doug's vs the other brands and do you have a preference?? I seem to see people on the net (outside of forum) having trouble with some brands of cutouts.

Anyone with experience with cutout and the XS Power system?? Do you know if I'll need the oval low profile cutouts or will standard round cutouts work on the C5 with the XS Power 3" pipes.

Appreciate any advise.
Not sure where you are looking to put them, but space is limited under the C5. I personally have DMH cutouts put back under the transmission. They are a really quality product. You can find some pictures from others who have used them on this forum.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:23 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

My QTP electric cutouts installed on my XS-Power system: ordered a pair of down turn pipes as the Y pipe wont fit with the system on a C5:

Forum member Patches had a thread on mounting cutouts as well, but I don't recall if he was using the XS-Power headers and X pipe or another brand.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:57 PM
BURL
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Electric cutouts

Thanks for the replies. Just got an email back from Doug's headers concerning their cutouts.

They said "We do not recommend our cut outs for late model car due to the higher exhaust temps compared to older muscle cars. If you put them on this application it will void the warranty.
I don't know whether they will fit. However I have attached drawing of the cut outs."

Seems like Doug's Headers doesn't have much interest in supporting the Corvette platform.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:44 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by BURL
Thanks for the replies. Just got an email back from Doug's headers concerning their cutouts.

They said "We do not recommend our cut outs for late model car due to the higher exhaust temps compared to older muscle cars. If you put them on this application it will void the warranty.
I don't know whether they will fit. However I have attached drawing of the cut outs."

Seems like Doug's Headers doesn't have much interest in supporting the Corvette platform.
I know some cutout manufacturers had issues with their motors holding up. Maybe that is the reason for lack of warranty.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:48 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

YouTube from QTP about install on a C5:

Old 03-27-2015, 04:46 PM
flyingillini
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't it be better to do cutouts on the backside of the car instead of venting hot gas next to the transmission ? You would still be stepping down to 2.5" pipe but that doesn't bother me.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:27 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

As an alternative to the usual setup
I used the Pep Boys 3" cutouts to do a muffler bypass on my Corsa Tigershark.
Sounds great, added about 10 db IMO to the already sweet Corsa sound.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 03-27-2015 at 06:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Thrash (09-12-2023)
Old 03-28-2015, 12:23 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by flyingillini
Wouldn't it be better to do cutouts on the backside of the car instead of venting hot gas next to the transmission ? You would still be stepping down to 2.5" pipe but that doesn't bother me.
The down pipes vent it down and I usually am moving when they are open so there is not much direct heat effecting the tranny case. To move them much further back you are then stepping down to 2.5 inches and wind up after the rear axles up against the mufflers. You could then as mentioned above use them as part of a muffler bypass.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric exhaust cutouts

Quick Reply: Electric exhaust cutouts