C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 cranks but no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:51 PM
mmg
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default C5 cranks but no start

Bought this car in January, but not driven it much yet. When I have driven it, I've always used the same key (I have 2). Yesterday my son came over while I was at work and had to move the vette out of the garage to work on his. He used the 2nd key that was at home. Well, the car cranked fine but wouldn't fire...not even a trace or putt of ignition. He pushed it out in the driveway and left it for me to try with my key when I got home. When I tried, I had the same problem. I cranked it a few times for about 10 seconds each and no joy. After this, the battery was low and finally just stopped turning over the engine, even though interior lights etc still were on. I took the battery out last night and have it on a charger. Last time the car was run about 10 days ago, it started and ran fine.

My question of course is what might I look for to solve this problem, or some logical troubleshooting sequence. Also, would the use of the second key, which I have no concrete knowledge ever worked or is truly matched to the car (dealer purchase), somehow have done something to the VAT or starting system? If the VAT is locking out the start of car, will it still allow the engine to crank?

After having the battery out for 24 hours and now fully recharged, I'm curious to see if anything changes when I try it tonight...but thought I'd ask here today and see if anyone has other input, thoughts, or advice. I'm sure flat bedding the car to the local Chev dealer would be a wallet drainer.... hope I can work this one at home.

Thanks in advance.

Mark in Cincinnati
Old 03-27-2015, 03:18 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

ALWAYS look for the obvious stuff first. Do you hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when the key is first turned to the "ON" position? If not, fuel pump fuse is first on the list of electrical items to check here, and also of course there has to sufficient fuel in the tank.

If fuel pump doesn't turn on and the fuse is OK, there is a ground stud on the rear, outside frame rail for the fuel pump. Be sure it's snugged down securely. I would loosen the nut, re-tighten, then loosen and tighten again to make sure there's good contact. Be careful tightening. Don't want to break the stud off. I think it's a 10mm nut IIRC.

There are other possibilities, but those are a couple for starters.

Check this thread for some good info:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fuel-pump.html

Last edited by LoneStarFRC; 03-27-2015 at 03:24 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-29-2015, 10:56 AM
mmg
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
ALWAYS look for the obvious stuff first. Do you hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when the key is first turned to the "ON" position? If not, fuel pump fuse is first on the list of electrical items to check here, and also of course there has to sufficient fuel in the tank.

If fuel pump doesn't turn on and the fuse is OK, there is a ground stud on the rear, outside frame rail for the fuel pump. Be sure it's snugged down securely. I would loosen the nut, re-tighten, then loosen and tighten again to make sure there's good contact. Be careful tightening. Don't want to break the stud off. I think it's a 10mm nut IIRC.

There are other possibilities, but those are a couple for starters.

Check this thread for some good info:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fuel-pump.html
Thank you for the input. I took the battery out and fully recharged it and checked the FP fuse which was good. The car fired right up and has done so for the last 6 or so starts, so it looks like the car had sat long enough that the car would crank but perhaps the electronics we're charged enough? This was mentioned by someone as possible, so perhaps it is. Thank you again! Mark
Old 03-29-2015, 03:56 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by mmg
Thank you for the input. I took the battery out and fully recharged it and checked the FP fuse which was good. The car fired right up and has done so for the last 6 or so starts, so it looks like the car had sat long enough that the car would crank but perhaps the electronics we're charged enough? This was mentioned by someone as possible, so perhaps it is. Thank you again! Mark

Get notified of new replies

To C5 cranks but no start

Quick Reply: C5 cranks but no start