C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Wheel Hub?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 05:30 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Bad Wheel Hub?

I recently started getting a popping noise when slowly turning left into my alley (slight incline and not smooth) but not when making a normal left turn. I also heard a popping or banging noise when going over rough, bumpy roads. The noise sounds like it came from the front end and I could definitely feel something in the steering wheel when I went over the bumps. I figure it was suspension related and though it may very well be one of my front shocks as I replaced them last year and the top bolt wasn't easy to gauge the correct tightness and. I thought it's possible that the bolt slowly worked its way loose.

I lifted the car and checked all suspension components. I tightened down the front shocks more just in case I didn't have them tight enough and checked all the other bolts for sway bars, etc. Everything seemed to be nice and tight. I did the same for the rear as well.

I noticed that one of the rear wheels has some play at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. I can push and pull and get some play. This does not occur on the other wheel and it also does not occur if my hands are at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions.

I took the car out for a spin and couldn't replicate the noise on my drive. So it's possible it was the front suspension but also I may not have found the right conditions. But after reading about bad hubs it sounds like they could possibly make the noises I'm describing.

Is the play at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions a sign of a bad wheel hub or could it be something else?
Old 03-29-2015, 05:39 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Macleod52
Is the play at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions a sign of a bad wheel hub or could it be something else?
If there was wheel bearing slop at 3 and 9, there would also be the same at 12 and 6.

For 3 and 9 only, take a close look at the outer tie-rod end, or even the whole link.

HTH

Last edited by LoneStarFRC; 03-29-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:26 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

That was my very FIRST thoughts when you said you didn't have it at the 12-6 positions!
Old 03-30-2015, 06:21 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the help. I won't be able to get to it until the weekend. If it is the tie rod will the movement be noticeable or will I have to remove any of the covers at the joints to see if they're bad? This will be my first time looking at tie rods so I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:27 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

If it is the tie rod will the movement be noticeable...........or will I have to remove any of the covers at the joints to see if they're bad? This will be my first time looking at tie rods so I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
"If it is the tie rod will the movement be noticeable..........."

Depends on how worn it may be.

"........will I have to remove any of the covers at the joints to see if they're bad?"

No. Easy to see and easy to replace. Alignment is necessary afterwards.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Okay, so I have a tiny bit of play near the boot on the outer tie rod end. So, I need to replace this but I cannot find this part anywhere.

The three major auto stores only carry the front tie rods and show nothing for the rears. All of the vendors I checked seem to not carry any or seem to be out of stock. Ecklers shows one but it has been discontinued. I can get the whole assembly from Gene but I'd rather not spend $100 if I only need the outer. Does anyone know where to get one or have a part number?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:34 AM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

I looked some more and found the rears on Corvette Central. Would it be better to replace both ends at the same time to save on alignment costs or just the one since the other end could last years?
Old 04-03-2015, 03:20 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

I looked some more and found the rears on Corvette Central. Would it be better to replace both ends at the same time to save on alignment costs or just the one since the other end could last years?
I always do steering/suspension parts replacements in pairs. I would do both, i.e. equal wear and tear, etc.

GM part # 88955488

SHOP AROUND. They're proud of them. gmpartseastdotcom (a GM dealer) has them for $80.91 ea.

HTH
Old 04-03-2015, 03:59 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

If you want to save on alignment, count the turns when you unthread assemblies and use a tattle tale mark. Body shops do it this way, but use no tattle tale, they only align when they loose the starting point because of damage.

This will only return you to the original setting. I do know the right side usually wears faster, that is the side that rides in the gutter and deals with more torn up surfaces. Don't know about replacing just one side, ask a suspension guy.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:57 PM
cuzracecar
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out post #32 (I believe but could be mistaken) in the ultimate dyi/faq sticky about popping rear axle. Couldn't hurt to check that out while your there

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Wheel Hub?

Quick Reply: Bad Wheel Hub?