C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 08:29 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Catch can

I installed an ADD W1 V2 Can, see photo below. Now it is time to plumb it into the system. I have a 2004 valley cover and have removed the external PCV plumbing. The driver side valve cover has a plug and a cap. The passenger has one tube capped and the other connected to the top fitting on the TB. I have the pigtail connecting the lower fitting to the fititng on the 2004 valley cover.

So my question is, do I connect the catch can where the pigtail is, or connect to the valve cover and the upperr TB connection.
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2015, 02:51 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The "U" shaped tube that's connected to the valley cover and the intake manifold is what you plumb into the can. Also, cap off the TB and passenger valve cover.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:50 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

ok thanks. Capping off the other line was a surprise to me, but it makes sense
Old 04-07-2015, 04:26 AM
Impulsive goat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you happen to have a better picture of how you mounted the can? I have the same can and I'm looking for possible mounting location options
Old 04-07-2015, 07:28 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll try. The car is up on the lift at the moment. What I did was get a piece of 1/8 thick by one inch wide by 8 inch long piece of steel. I bent an offset in the steel so it could mount on the frame and clear the AC line.I pop-riveted it to the frame. The piece on the catch can, I'll call it the "coffee cup handle", I removed it from the catch can and mounted it to the steel piece, then riveted the steel piece. It is tight drilling down there and I had to use a DeWalt close quarter drill and a bit that I had also shortened.

I pre-drilled the steel piece with 4 holes a 1/2 inch apart because of the close quarters, and only used 2 of them. I drilled one hole, riveted, then made sure the steel piece was vertical and drilled and riveted the other.

Mounted the catch can and thought I was done. At the track, I got a whistling sound, and so I disconnected the catch and it went away. I didn't think to oil the threads on the can, that was probably where it was leaking. Also, there is a lot of vacuum where the can connects, much more than I expected, so I'm still checking my plumbing to make sure I have it installed correctly.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:22 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default catch can install pics

Here are the install pics mentioned in my earlier post:

The first photo shows the catch can, the other two the mounting bracket I riveted to the frame.
Attached Images    

Get notified of new replies

To Catch can

Quick Reply: Catch can