C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gear pops out and grinds! Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:18 PM
1skvet
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gear pops out and grinds! Help please!

Hello Everybody! Im new on this forum and I just got a 99 C5 FRC with 112k miles on it. The car is 100% bone stock. I really don't think the car has seen a rough day in its life.

okay so here's my problem, at a full stop 1st gear is hard to fully engage. 1st gear just pops out and grinds (sometimes it doesn't) shifting into 2nd and then going to 1st works 80% of the time but I don't think I can live with it. I really hope its not the synchro. Are there any hints as to if it is simply a shifter adjustment problem or not? After reading a lot it seems as if its something common for c5 owners and I just wanted a little feedback on what exactly I need done.

I've been thinking of getting a MGW shifter and have the tranny flushed and just hope that works! what are the odds of that working?

BTW I'm in Phoenix, AZ Shops recommendations that can get this problem fixed ?

Feedback is much appreciated!

Last edited by 1skvet; 03-30-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:28 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

I would start with checking the shifter alignment.It's free and relatively easy to do.A fluid change would also be a good idea as you don't know when or if it was changed.Another fairly easy task.

Quick Reply: 1st gear pops out and grinds! Help please!