C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Handling/Traction Control Disables Cruise At Highway Speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 AM
bxcrwlly
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Active Handling/Traction Control Disables Cruise At Highway Speed

Just returned from a 2400 mile trip with my '03. Performed well except on the return. At speeds of 70+ MPH with cruise control engaged, my Active Handling/Traction Control would disengage my cruise control. This would only happen periodically. I disabled the AH/TC and the cruise worked fine.

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by bxcrwlly; 04-14-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bxcrwlly
Just returned from a 2400 mile trip with my '03. Performed well except on the return. At speeds of 70+ MPH with cruise control engaged, my Active Handling/Transaction Control would disengage my cruise control. This would only happen periodically. I disabled the AH/TC and the cruise worked fine.

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated.
These are the classic signs of the steering wheel position sensor going bad. Pull your codes to see what's there.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:06 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

This may be a long shot but... are you running stock tire sizes? If not, maybe the stagger differential is getting too close or below 0.5". Rear tires tend to wear faster than fronts.

I'm running 295/35R18 on rear and 275/40R17 on front (Stock front is 265/40R17). When the tires were new, there was only about 0.5" stagger. Now that I have some miles on the car, I'm waiting for the day the TC/AH thows a code due to too small a stagger differential.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:04 AM
bxcrwlly
Cruising

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by Bluefire
These are the classic signs of the steering wheel position sensor going bad. Pull your codes to see what's there.
Thank you Bluefire. Will check codes.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:07 AM
bxcrwlly
Cruising

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
This may be a long shot but... are you running stock tire sizes? If not, maybe the stagger differential is getting too close or below 0.5". Rear tires tend to wear faster than fronts.

I'm running 295/35R18 on rear and 275/40R17 on front (Stock front is 265/40R17). When the tires were new, there was only about 0.5" stagger. Now that I have some miles on the car, I'm waiting for the day the TC/AH thows a code due to too small a stagger differential.
Thanks 3sACROWD. Running stock size but in Michelin brand. I know tires have some age as I purchased vehicle from another party 3 years ago. Tread & tires overall look good(not gauged). Will keep your suggestion in mind.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:09 AM
bxcrwlly
Cruising

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Both of the above are excellent responses to your symptoms.

Suggest that you pull and post your codes since they may give further indication of what is going on. Here is how:

OR

http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php

Post ALL your codes including the H or C or HC that follow each 5 character code.

Thanks 8VETTE7! The video and url are extremely helpful. Will run codes and post results.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:30 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Old 04-14-2015, 12:02 PM
3RD-INF
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did that exact same thing. The active handling would engage and the cruise would disengage. Ran the codes, figured that the steering wheel position sensor was bad. Ordered a new one from Rock Auto. With help from the CF changed it out. Took about 4 hours and saved about $650.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:25 AM
bxcrwlly
Cruising

Originally Posted by 3RD-INF
Mine did that exact same thing. The active handling would engage and the cruise would disengage. Ran the codes, figured that the steering wheel position sensor was bad. Ordered a new one from Rock Auto. With help from the CF changed it out. Took about 4 hours and saved about $650.
Thanks 3RD-INF: Great info and source information.

Get notified of new replies

To Active Handling/Traction Control Disables Cruise At Highway Speed

Quick Reply: Active Handling/Traction Control Disables Cruise At Highway Speed