C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cats or no cats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 11:14 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
Oh... and dont take that tag off of your mattress either. I have high flow cats for now, I've heard high hp sc cars can sometimes blow them out. My car is not that high hp... Yet!
Yeah cats and FI don't always play together as nice since you have to run richer AFR at WOT/in boost. Plus exhaust gas temps get way way higher. Depending on how much power you're running and how rich you are running.... at a certain point cats just become something you don't want to worry about or deal with.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:20 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Didn't feel like reading through all the posts. Im here to tell everyone, depending on the size of the motor, having cats and NOT having cats makes a difference. I recently had a 418ci installed and had high flow LG cats. I removed them and gained a total of 20hp with very very little adjustment in the tune. I gained 16hp through the mid range around 3500-4000rpm and 4hp up top. Not to mention a much meaner growl
Old 05-25-2015, 11:26 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

I recently had my stock cats put back on. The car is mostly stock. Although some hp loss was noticeable in upper rpms I def can tell i gained some torque back. The car runs much better and dauly driving is much more enjoyable with the cats. I am glad i put them back on and would only consider going catless if i were making 500+ whp. I did sound nice tho :/ but i say keep your cats.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:48 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bwill03z
I recently had my stock cats put back on. The car is mostly stock. Although some hp loss was noticeable in upper rpms I def can tell i gained some torque back. The car runs much better and dauly driving is much more enjoyable with the cats. I am glad i put them back on and would only consider going catless if i were making 500+ whp. I did sound nice tho :/ but i say keep your cats.

Quick Reply: Cats or no cats?