C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumble Start Condition

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Stumble Start Condition

I have a stumble start condition that only developed recently. I have about 1000 miles on the new motor. When it was new it would always fire immediately, when hot or cold. Everything was new at the time of the motor, battery, starter, etc. When the motor is hot/ up to operating temperature, it fires very quickly, just like it did when cold when the motor was new. However if I leave it overnight, it kinda stutters/ stumbles but still starts quickly, just not cleanly. I have a fuel pressure gauge on the car, with the key-on, pressure goes to 58psi, then after a second or so it goes down to 50psi, which I think is normal. It doesn't crank forever like when you have a bad fuel pump check valve, it fires pretty much right away, but stumbles on its way to idle, if that makes sense.

I did let the battery die a few weeks back, but it doesn't make sense that it starts fast when the motor is hot. Would a loose timing chain affect start-up time? I wonder if the Bosch aftermarket starter is having trouble keeping up with the compression.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:08 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

It's not the pump, fuel pressure should bleed off gradually otherwise what would be the point of priming the fuel pump? It could be the injectors leaking fuel into the cylinders possibly.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:03 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I suggest you pull your DIC codes to see if anything shows up. It is free and easy to do.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:57 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I suggest you pull your DIC codes to see if anything shows up. It is free and easy to do.
That is certainly the first thing I did.

I pulled the rail and had a helper prime the pump, injector #8 had a little squirt which would put raw fuel into the cylinder before startup.

Sending the injectors in for cleaning and pressure testing.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:53 AM
BK n BLK
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It almost sounds like the M.A.F, GM"s 3.8 acted that way with cold morning start-ups, I'm not sold on leaking injectors cause that would be a long crank issue then fire up. Maybe a lazy I.A.C ? clean throttle body lately?
Let us know

Get notified of new replies

To Stumble Start Condition

Quick Reply: Stumble Start Condition