C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:02 PM
DonsLS1
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Default A/C question

I have an 03 with the dual zone AC and I had my friend who is a mechanic flush out the whole system and replace with new 134. The passenger side blows ice cold, but the driver side only blows cool. Any ideas what this could be? Car only has 19,000 miles.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:43 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by DonsLS1
I have an 03 with the dual zone AC and I had my friend who is a mechanic flush out the whole system and replace with new 134. The passenger side blows ice cold, but the driver side only blows cool. Any ideas what this could be? Car only has 19,000 miles.
Ya got any codes to do with ac? Might be a bad actuator. If it is don't get it from rockauto unless you order the correct number. Their charts show the incorrect one for C5s.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:18 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DonsLS1
Bad actuator or not enough r134 was added. Use the dic and pull codes and ask the mechanic to check pressures or jut try adding can. It is common for the passenger side to get colder than the driver if the r134 gets low.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:52 AM
DonsLS1
Pro

I'll have to check the actuator. He just put the 134 in last week to exact amount, so I'll check out the actuator. Thanks guys!
Old 04-12-2015, 07:22 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by 92GA
Ya got any codes to do with ac? Might be a bad actuator. If it is don't get it from rockauto unless you order the correct number. Their charts show the incorrect one for C5s.
Usually a bad actuator will set a code. Try checking the codes first.

If it is an actuator code, clearing the codes or disconnecting the battery will cause them to try to reset the position. Sometimes that will correct the problem (if you are lucky).

On mine I had actuator codes and resetting them worked. I still had the same cold passenger side and cool driver's side. Mine needed more R134.

As I understand it from reading a lot of threads here and other sources, when the refrigerant is low it only cools from the bottom half of the evaporator since the refrigerant level does fill the top half well enough. The passenger side pulls air through the bottom half and the driver's side through the top half.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:57 PM
DonsLS1
Pro

Originally Posted by QCVette
Usually a bad actuator will set a code. Try checking the codes first.

If it is an actuator code, clearing the codes or disconnecting the battery will cause them to try to reset the position. Sometimes that will correct the problem (if you are lucky).

On mine I had actuator codes and resetting them worked. I still had the same cold passenger side and cool driver's side. Mine needed more R134.

As I understand it from reading a lot of threads here and other sources, when the refrigerant is low it only cools from the bottom half of the evaporator since the refrigerant level does fill the top half well enough. The passenger side pulls air through the bottom half and the driver's side through the top half.

Good luck.
Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C question

Quick Reply: A/C question