C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with 6th gear...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:36 AM
USAFAVetteCadet
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Issues with 6th gear...

Recently bought an 02 with about 50K miles on it and I've noticed something concerning with 6th gear....

When I drop it down into 6th 1 of 2 things will happen. Either it will drop in without any issues (85% of the time) and I can drive in 6th without any problems or... upon letting the clutch out the shifter will start shaking rather violently. It won't sound like the gears are grinding, but that being said it doesn't sound good. There won't be any power either. I can throw it back in 5th and try again and it will usually work.

I know there's an aftermarket short throw shifter in it... not quite sure which one, I didn't install it. Reading the forum it sounds like it might be a shifter adjustment but i'm not quite sure.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Old 04-15-2015, 11:36 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Manual transmissions are rarely subject to intermittent issues. In general, things either work or they don't.

Sixth gear working 85% of the time suggests to me that the 15% of the time it isn't working is because the synchros are not locked and thus sixth gear isn't engaged. The most like cause would be shifter adjustment or a linkage issue. It is theoretically possible, but highly unlikely, that there is a problem internally within the trans (either the synchros themselves or the linkages/levers that move the synchros).

Especially given that a new shifter has been installed, that is where I would start.

Please post up your findings...
Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 AM
USAFAVetteCadet
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice! I'll start with a shifter adjustment and let you know what I find.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:43 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

I just bought a CTS-V with a T56 6 speed manual There is a problem with this trans in 6th, if the prev owner shifted into 6 at low rpm (for 6th) and then put on the gas to keep the car going. According to the trans rebuilders, the 6th gear galls the mainshaft. The result is that when you shift into 6th you get an annoying vibration. I have never seen anyone report this on a Corvette, but the trans are not that much different. I suggest calling RTK or Tick Performance and discuss your issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Issues with 6th gear...

Quick Reply: Issues with 6th gear...