C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which headlight bulbs??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:47 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Default which headlight bulbs??

I replaced my low beam lights, which were the cheap base model sylvania bulbs, with the sylvania ultra brights. The difference was very minimal and still not nearly bright enough. What are the best bulbs to get?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:25 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I have tried many different "bulbs" in the factory housings including some very high wattage ones. None of them made the difference I was looking for. I finally went to HID Projector setups on my car and the difference is HUGE. I have had mine for a bit over a year and a half... A couple Forum vendors sell the projector conversion setups last I checked.
I may have to go this route. What all has to be done to switch as far as wiring?
Old 04-18-2015, 11:32 AM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am very satisfied with the 9011/9012 HIR bulbs. They're the brightest non HID bulbs available, and made a big improvement over the stock ones. I also added the 4-HI harness to use all four bulbs on high beam. Candlepower Inc. sells the bulbs for about $50.00 a pair.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:52 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I did the Silverstars, then the HIR,s ... HID is the way to go.

The kits are plug and play. You need to install ( double sided tape) a ballast between the current light harness and the new bulb.
The kits contain the ballast with the correct connectors to mate with the wiring harness along with the HID bulb that fits into the headlight housing. 30 minute job.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:49 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Big jump in price between a $50 pair of bulbs and a projector conversion. Anyone have any experience on the HID conversion kits? I assume they are not too good, as the US C5 beam pattern is not well controlled to start with.

Or a strict comparison between HID projectors and Euro lens and hi power bulbs?
Old 04-19-2015, 02:39 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by john8642
I am very satisfied with the 9011/9012 HIR bulbs. They're the brightest non HID bulbs available, and made a big improvement over the stock ones. I also added the 4-HI harness to use all four bulbs on high beam. Candlepower Inc. sells the bulbs for about $50.00 a pair.

I used the 9011 bulbs for the low beams in my Saab and my dad's Explorer (both are factory projectors with 9005 bulbs). I probably would've done the same in my C5 if I didn't go with fixed headlights because the stock ones were vibrating which I found irritating.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:20 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by rws.1
I did the Silverstars, then the HIR,s ... HID is the way to go.

The kits are plug and play. You need to install ( double sided tape) a ballast between the current light harness and the new bulb.
The kits contain the ballast with the correct connectors to mate with the wiring harness along with the HID bulb that fits into the headlight housing. 30 minute job.
But does this require you to also change to those butt ugly bug eye reflector lens ?
Old 04-19-2015, 10:32 AM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Try a HID bulb conversion and 4-hi harness like I did. Huge difference at night. Just adjust your beams down a little to insure you don't blind anyone with scatter.
No ones complained about mine and I've driven behind friends and asked...
If you drive a lot at night and want the best, get the full projector conversion! I'm sure it would make HID even better! I'm very happy so far with the improvements I've made at minimal cost. HID of some sort is the "only" way to go!

edited to add HID+4HiLo pic:

Last edited by mike_engr; 04-19-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To which headlight bulbs??

Quick Reply: which headlight bulbs??