C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 tpms ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 05:07 PM
jim wannavet
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default c5 tpms ?

I just brought home my new to me 2004 c5 coupe.i bought the car knowing the tpms was not reading the sensors.the gentleman I bought the car from put c6 zr1 rims on the car and he gave me the round magnet to reprogram sensors.problem is the big round magnet will not fit over the tire stems as they are in between the spokes that are only maybe an 1 1/2 inch space.he said he was told you could get a narrow cone shaped magnet.i am having no luck finding such an animal.has anyone come up against the same problem .any help deeply appreciated thanks jim.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:08 AM
jim wannavet
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Try putting the magnet on the barrel of the rim directly behind the stem. The part of the TPMS that has to be reset is actually up against the barrel so that method works fine. This assumes that the correct TPMS are installed in the wheels. If the TPMS are from a C6 then they are NOT compatible to the C5 system.
I tried putting the round magnet on barrel of wheel still nothing.do you think I need a different magnet to do it that way.also what is the right sensor for an 04.i emailed the guy I bought it from to see what sensors he installed.thanks for reply jim.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:29 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by jim wannavet
I tried putting the round magnet on barrel of wheel still nothing.do you think I need a different magnet to do it that way.also what is the right sensor for an 04.i emailed the guy I bought it from to see what sensors he installed.thanks for reply jim.
I had a similar problem with my ZR1 lookalike wheels. The round magnet TR supplied would not fit between the spokes. I bought a small flat magnet from Lowes (they come in a pack of maybe three IIRC), and wiggled it in so that it was positioned about where the TPMS sensor was - it worked just fine.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:31 PM
jim wannavet
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

The correct current GM (Delco) part number for the 01 - 04 TPMS is

I suspect the previous owner left the C6 sensors in the wheels or perhaps replaced them with conventional valve stems rather than pay the price for new sensors. Here is a link that shows both the early year and 01 - 04 TPMS including installed:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1574148527-post10.html

There are many aftermarket brand TPMS available but some Forum Members have had problems getting some of them programmed to the car. Many threads about that if you search.
seller emailed me back the sensors are aftermarket he said he had them for a few years before he installed them on the rims.amazon has ac delco 25773946 with nut for 44 dollars.i don't understand I am showing pressure on three of the sensors but not correct pressure.is ac delco the oem sensor thanks jim.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:07 PM
jim wannavet
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

AC Delco is made by Schrader in the UK and was what was in my OEM rims. If you are showing pressures in the DIC then they are apparently (3 at least) programmed. Not sure what you are using to determine pressure is correct or not. I have a racer gauge that I use to set the pressure in my tires and the TPM's report within 1 lb of the gauge pressure.

Also once you program the TPM's you need to drive them for a few miles to get the devices to begin transmitting again. So setting pressure in the tires and then expecting the numbers in the DIC to match WITHOUT driving the car is NOT going to happen....
they always showed pressure except one. tires have 32 psi with tire gage.i don't have exact pressures showing on dic right now.the dic if you reset show wrong pressures and no pressure on one tire.previous owner could not sync the sensors either.could there be another issue.i appreciate your patience and help.first vet for me so its all new.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:13 PM
jim wannavet
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I guess I did not explain this problem correctly.the previous owner emailed me again and said the tire store that put the tires on the rims
could not get the sensors to read properly.here is what the dic shows front left 21 psi front right 28 psi rear left 0 psi rear right 15 psi.all tires are reading 32 psi with tire gage.they are aftermarket sensors he does not remember the brand.can I assume the tpms that he put in need replaced for oem tpms.any answer appretiated.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:31 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

looks like someone needs new sensors...
Old 04-22-2015, 05:09 PM
jim wannavet
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

called a chevy dealer for fun they want 97 dollars a piece and 100 to install.found oem on line for 192 for four.thanks
Old 05-22-2015, 06:34 PM
TXMARSHAL
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket TPMS

I have a '98 C5. When installing aftermarket TPMS (sensors) in aftermarket wheels is there anything else that needs to be done other than "relearning" the new sensors to the car using a magnet? There is no special hand programmer or scan tool required from what I have read so far. Can someone verify? Thanks
Old 05-25-2015, 04:22 PM
shadowman1
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TXMARSHAL
I have a '98 C5. When installing aftermarket TPMS (sensors) in aftermarket wheels is there anything else that needs to be done other than "relearning" the new sensors to the car using a magnet? There is no special hand programmer or scan tool required from what I have read so far. Can someone verify? Thanks
The hardest time I had was getting the sensor to trip with a magnet. I bought one of these and it worked in a couple of seconds.
Master Magnetics 07504 Retrieving and Holding Magnet, Durable Plastic, 40 lb, 2.375" Length, 2.375" Width, 0.75" Height with Eyebolt, Nuts and Magnetic Shields, Red/Black: Tools Products: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Master Magnetics 07504 Retrieving and Holding Magnet, Durable Plastic, 40 lb, 2.375" Length, 2.375" Width, 0.75" Height with Eyebolt, Nuts and Magnetic Shields, Red/Black: Tools Products: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Get notified of new replies

To c5 tpms ?

Quick Reply: c5 tpms ?