C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wonkey AC

Old 05-13-2015, 12:34 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Autozone now wants $138.99 for those actuators. What a racket. It's the same damn thing as the manual one for $40 (which they make copious money on also) all with an added pot, 2 extra pins on the board and a pinout difference.

Anybody wonder why I replaced the gear in mine?
Old 05-25-2015, 09:11 PM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

quick maybe stupid question if you do not use your AC can you lose the charge my gaskets drying up? i recently had a AC compressor replaced because they said it was bad, of course today i tried turning AC on the AC light came on but no cold air, any ideas?
Old 05-25-2015, 09:58 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck A
quick maybe stupid question if you do not use your AC can you lose the charge my gaskets drying up? i recently had a AC compressor replaced because they said it was bad, of course today i tried turning AC on the AC light came on but no cold air, any ideas?
Did they replace the refrigerant after the compressor? What shop did this without checking their own work first? Either they didn't replace what was lost or you have a severe leak. I would be taking it back
Old 05-27-2015, 12:33 AM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by ZZ06
Did they replace the refrigerant after the compressor? What shop did this without checking their own work first? Either they didn't replace what was lost or you have a severe leak. I would be taking it back
yea that is why the didnt charge me for redoing putting freon in the system again, will wait and see when i bring it back again, hoping for the best
Old 07-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Markm10431
Omega Aficianado

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 163 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

Finally got around to buying the part, but when I stasted the car to take it to the guy doing the work, I noticed nothing but hot air from all vents.

I'm thinking now maybe I have a leak, so I wanted to ask one more question.. if the blend door is bad will the HVAC throw a code? my DIC is code free except a couple U codes in RFA
Old 07-04-2015, 02:31 AM
RXPX
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
Autozone now wants $138.99 for those actuators. What a racket. It's the same damn thing as the manual one for $40 (which they make copious money on also) all with an added pot, 2 extra pins on the board and a pinout difference.

Anybody wonder why I replaced the gear in mine?
Sorry if I misunderstood your post. You're saying you bought a manual actuator and used the gear off of it to install into yours? That's awesome and good to know!
Old 07-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Markm10431
Omega Aficianado

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RXPX
Sorry if I misunderstood your post. You're saying you bought a manual actuator and used the gear off of it to install into yours? That's awesome and good to know!
well, it's not the blend door. on a whim i bought some refrigerant and checked the levels (A friend had borrowed the car and said the tech at the dealership he works at said the levels were fine) well, the levels were very low, and took easily 10 oz. both sides were blowing cold. when i disconnected, i noticed there was some leakage in the valve, so i am confident that it is the problem. so i do need to take her to a shop and have a service done, assuming that valve is replaceable... how much should i be looking at??
Old 07-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Markm10431
well, it's not the blend door. on a whim i bought some refrigerant and checked the levels (A friend had borrowed the car and said the tech at the dealership he works at said the levels were fine) well, the levels were very low, and took easily 10 oz. both sides were blowing cold. when i disconnected, i noticed there was some leakage in the valve, so i am confident that it is the problem. so i do need to take her to a shop and have a service done, assuming that valve is replaceable... how much should i be looking at??
Which valve? If it's the fill valve, it's a Schrader valve, very similar to the one in your tires. The part itself won't cost hardly anything, but the shop will need to evacuate the system and refill it. I'd ask them what the cost is to evac & fill, and replace the valve myself in between them doing that. Otherwise they're going to want to do 'troubleshooting' and charge 'diagnostic fees' and whatnot.

EDIT: Was looking into this more, evidently you can get
one of these gizmos one of these gizmos
to replace the valve core easily, without losing (much) refrigerant. I suspect HVAC shops probably have these on hand, if so they should be able to replace the valve core really cheap. If it's going to cost you more than the cost of this tool, buy the tool and do it yourself...

Last edited by Trios; 07-05-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Markm10431
Omega Aficianado

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Trios
Which valve? If it's the fill valve, it's a Schrader valve, very similar to the one in your tires. The part itself won't cost hardly anything, but the shop will need to evacuate the system and refill it. I'd ask them what the cost is to evac & fill, and replace the valve myself in between them doing that. Otherwise they're going to want to do 'troubleshooting' and charge 'diagnostic fees' and whatnot.

EDIT: Was looking into this more, evidently you can get one of these gizmos to replace the valve core easily, without losing (much) refrigerant. I suspect HVAC shops probably have these on hand, if so they should be able to replace the valve core really cheap. If it's going to cost you more than the cost of this tool, buy the tool and do it yourself...
the tires plus across the street from work will replace both valves, high and low, evac and recharge for $175. robbery I am sure but after 60 I feel a full service like that is good for the system, and I consider it money well spent to enjoy her as my primary driver.

my lesson learned for this exercise is
1. trust the codes, I never had one so i was looking at coolant the entire time
2. don't trust friends who have "Connections"
3. ok to try refilling and such, but know when to let the pros do the entire job right

Last edited by Markm10431; 07-06-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wonkey AC