C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 or Stage 2 Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:41 AM
fred6123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 or Stage 2 Clutch?

Going to be replacing my clutch very soon so any big difference in a Stage 1 or Stage 2?
Background: 99 Coupe, daily Driver, avg about 1000 miles a month. No engine mod's just a plain old corvette. I have had the car for 5 years/100k miles, not sure but I think this is the original clutch.
Thanks!
Old 04-21-2015, 01:42 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I don't like referring to clutches as stages because each manufacturer has it's own different versions... if you don't plan to add any power or not a whole lot more than stock then an ls7 replacement would be fine... if you do plan to add a lot more power, supercharger, or something along those lines then you should think about moving up to a twin disc or something that will allow you to grow into it... doing a clutch in these cars is not particularly fun and I wouldn't want to do it more than once if I could avoid it by overdoing it in the beginning... you should also replace the pilot bearing, slave, add a remote bleeder, and inspect your torque tube couplers while everything is out
Old 04-21-2015, 10:39 AM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I'm not sure I would even go as far as an LS7. Replace with an LS6 and be done. Direct fit, no issues whatsoever, and much lighter than the LS7 combo.
I agree with everything else, though- removing the TT and the rear is not a fun job on jackstands. Replace everything while you're in there, including the couplers.

Last edited by Umrswimr; 04-21-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Umrswimr
I'm not sure I would even go as far as an LS7. Replace with an LS6 and be done. Direct fit, no issues whatsoever.
I agree with everything else, though- removing the TT and the rear is not a fun job on jackstands. Replace everything while you're in there, including the couplers.
I agree, if the car is a stock dd. I assume it has plenty of miles. Replace it with the cheapest gm clutch kit you can get. Keep it simple, light, and oem and let it run a while.

I also agree. Replace everything you can while in there and buy a slave bleed tube imo.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:48 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

reason I don't recommend ls6 clutches is due to all the issues I had with mine and I see probably at least a couple of new threads started weekly on clutch issues... in my opinion the self adjusting ls6 pressure plate is the culprit of shifting problems... people don't seem to have those same issues with the ls7 unit... it is still cheap, will handle more power, the only drawback is it is a little heavier
Old 04-23-2015, 02:17 AM
fred6123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info. Still not sure which one I will get. The mechanic doing the install has given me a price so I will see. Clutch isn't really bad, but I figure I may as well get it taken care of......

Get notified of new replies

To Stage 1 or Stage 2 Clutch?

Quick Reply: Stage 1 or Stage 2 Clutch?