C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I replace DIC buttons only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:19 PM
jrayheyhey
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I replace DIC buttons only?

Hey guys, looking for some advice here. I need to replace my DIC button cluster on my 98 c5 because mine went bad (I hope). I am hoping I don't have to remove the whole dash and then the gauge cluster to get the access to the two bolts to remove this DIC button pod. Looks like I can remove the housing on inside of gauge cluster somehow. There are two torx bolts on top side of cluster which I removed hoping this would allow me to remove inside bezel of the gauge cluster. But it still seemed pretty tight. Don't want to break anything here. Am I on the right path here? Can I remove these buttons by simply removing the inside bezel of the gauge cluster or do I need to remove the whole damn dash? Thanks!

Last edited by jrayheyhey; 04-24-2015 at 08:21 PM. Reason: title incorrect
Old 04-24-2015, 08:31 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Not sure about your question about taking out the DIC... but here is a good link just in case...

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2013...-dash-removal/
Old 04-24-2015, 10:02 PM
jrayheyhey
Cruising

Yeah, I hope I don't need to remove all of that in order to remove this little DIC button cluster. Seems like that plastic inner gauge bezel covering should pop right off, but I'm too cautious to push it. Thanks
Old 04-24-2015, 10:26 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rol-panel.html
Old 04-24-2015, 11:06 PM
jakecol
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

73Corvette has given you great links to follow. Once you remove the console and the radio/climate bezel keep working to the left side using the second link. I've done the same project on my 98. Just take your time and be patient.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:35 AM
jrayheyhey
Cruising

Originally Posted by jakecol
73Corvette has given you great links to follow. Once you remove the console and the radio/climate bezel keep working to the left side using the second link. I've done the same project on my 98. Just take your time and be patient.
Ok, I see now! Cluster has to come out. Thanks for the help guys
Old 04-25-2015, 01:51 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by jrayheyhey
Ok, I see now! Cluster has to come out. Thanks for the help guys
When re-installing the IPC, make sure that big gang-connector on the backside is going in straight and gets seated securely. It's a bit of a squeeze to get your left hand inside and around to the rear while holding the cluster in position. You're working "blind" while plugging it in.

HTH
Old 04-28-2015, 01:11 AM
jrayheyhey
Cruising

Took the car to Corvette Shop today where they installed the new DIC button cluster for me. Found out the original switch isn't bad apparently because the new one didn't work. They say my gauge cluster is bad only thing this is a low mileage car and I can't just swap the cluster with a new one with similar miles. So I am hoping I can have mine repaired and retain the original odometer. You guys have any leads on rebuilding the ipc? what are my options here? thanks.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:12 PM
vettefan84
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrayheyhey
Hey guys, looking for some advice here. I need to replace my DIC button cluster on my 98 c5 because mine went bad (I hope). I am hoping I don't have to remove the whole dash and then the gauge cluster to get the access to the two bolts to remove this DIC button pod. Looks like I can remove the housing on inside of gauge cluster somehow. There are two torx bolts on top side of cluster which I removed hoping this would allow me to remove inside bezel of the gauge cluster. But it still seemed pretty tight. Don't want to break anything here. Am I on the right path here? Can I remove these buttons by simply removing the inside bezel of the gauge cluster or do I need to remove the whole damn dash? Thanks!
Hi there...whats exactly the problem with your dic? I ask you because i.m having a problem with dic buttons they iluminate but buttons doesnt work sometimes display shows messages like crazy and when it stops showing messages it get freeze like oil temp ..or fuel info etc...but freezed...i think dont have to remove the dash pad to get acces to dic switch....let me know if you fix the problem anyway i have pulled dic switch buttons and they are easy to get ....good luck
Old 07-17-2015, 08:39 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Worked on a bunch of similar issues. Never seen a bad DIC switch. Sometimes a button gets stuck and needs to be pulled back.

You can get a replacement from Marc at VetteNuts.com and have the mileage reset or try one of the repair shops:

http://www.aertech.com/dealers/make-gm.asp

http://www.sotelectronics.com/repair_gm_ins.php3

http://www.gminstrumentcluster.com/

There are many more out there.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:11 AM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

What is your mileage? We may have a cluster you can plug up and go.

Marc
Old 07-17-2015, 10:36 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I told you he was the "go to" guy.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:33 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

The GO TO guy just told you to GO TO the GO TO guy...so GO!

Get notified of new replies

To How do I replace DIC buttons only?

Quick Reply: How do I replace DIC buttons only?