C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Gauge Cluster

Well, the previous owner was good enough to install some silver gauge surrounds in the cluster

However, they attached them poorly evidently, and now at 132k miles the speedometer ring has detached! It's just sitting on the needle (which is now stuck at 74 MPH). I was kind of hoping it would just fall all the way down so my speedo would work again, but it's been 2 weeks now and no change in position. Thank God for the HUD.

So, I need to pull my cluster, but this is a job I'd rather do just once. So, obviously going to go with a high strength 2-part epoxy to hold the ring back on (and any others which aren't solidly attached), but is there anything else I should be doing while it's out? Is the ring holding the speedometer in place going to damage that, or will it work fine again once it's not stuck?

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2015, 12:56 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Your speedometer should be fine once the ring is moved.Mine did the same thing.Good time to install LEDs in the buttons since everything will be apart.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:44 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Just can't make this $&#( up...

I make this thread today, and on the drive home from work, during a 1-2 shift, my coolant temp bezel pops off:

Craziness.

Get notified of new replies

To Gauge Cluster

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster