C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 02:09 PM
wagner262
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Buying Rotors

I am really wanted to get drilled and slotted rotors, mainly for the looks. My rotors are fine but stock.

I was wondering if I am crazy to consider used? Is there a way to tell by looking at a rotor how much life it has left.

If I went new what are the good brands and what should I be looking to spend on 4? Just curious Ive heard there is a lot of crap rotors that crack easy if its a bad brand.

Thanks guys
Old 04-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Drilled rotors are a lot of hype... The holes will plug with brake dust over time and if they are used hard, WILL CRACK between the holes.

On the other hand, slotted rotors work VERY WELL and do improve rotor efficiency.

I purchased 4 new OEM Replacement premium rotors from NAPA and the price was outstanding. Its been many many years ago since they were replaced and are 100% fantastic. ACTIVE Duty and Vets get a discount! I use the brakes hard and have ZERO warapage issues. I don't TRACK my car. That's a whole different ball game.

Someone told me that NAPA now have a slotted rotor but, I have not looked into that.

Here,,, I googled it:

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/stop-r...brake-upgrade/

Give them a call and see what they offer and if it interest you..

If it were ME,,, I would stay away from drilled rotors. Had them on my C6 Z51 coupe. They didn't crack but they sure did plug up with brake dust!
Old 04-29-2015, 02:59 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,204 Posts

See post #45 of my Grand Sport project thread to see what I did...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...project-3.html

I would not buy used brake parts unless I was VERY confident of their history and serviceability.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:14 PM
Ray 2000 C5 FRC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Drilled rotors are a lot of hype... The holes will plug with brake dust over time and if they are used hard, WILL CRACK between the holes.

On the other hand, slotted rotors work VERY WELL and do improve rotor efficiency.

I purchased 4 new OEM Replacement premium rotors from NAPA and the price was outstanding. Its been many many years ago since they were replaced and are 100% fantastic. ACTIVE Duty and Vets get a discount! I use the brakes hard and have ZERO warapage issues. I don't TRACK my car. That's a whole different ball game.

Someone told me that NAPA now have a slotted rotor but, I have not looked into that.

Here,,, I googled it:

If it were ME,,, I would stay away from drilled rotors. Had them on my C6 Z51 coupe. They didn't crack but they sure did plug up with brake dust!
Old 04-29-2015, 03:18 PM
wagner262
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

Here,,, I googled it:

Bill you always have the answers! ill look into napa for the slotted rotors. Like I said I dont run my car very hard just looking for appearance upgrades
Old 04-29-2015, 03:19 PM
wagner262
Pro

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
See post #45 of my Grand Sport project thread to see what I did...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...project-3.html

I would not buy used brake parts unless I was VERY confident of their history and serviceability.
nice post, I love the upgrades
Old 04-30-2015, 11:35 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

"Drilled" rotors are OK if they were designed to be that way. Like Baer Eradispeeds for example. Had them on now for north of 40k miles with no issues at all, definitely no "clogging" - in fact that's a new one on me.

p.s. and I bought them used originally.....
Old 05-01-2015, 12:12 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Check the Brakemotive rotors. They are a little over $200 for pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Lots of people here have installed then and I haven't seen anyone here complain about the quality. The pads are nothing special though. I believe they are still a forum vender too.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 05-01-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:17 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by wagner262
I am really wanted to get drilled and slotted rotors, mainly for the looks. My rotors are fine but stock.

I was wondering if I am crazy to consider used? Is there a way to tell by looking at a rotor how much life it has left.

If I went new what are the good brands and what should I be looking to spend on 4? Just curious Ive heard there is a lot of crap rotors that crack easy if its a bad brand.

Thanks guys
the real oem rotors are very good. older high carbon iron. much better than all the lower cost rotors sold today. keep them until they groove
Old 05-01-2015, 12:19 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Check the Brakemotive rotors. They are a little over $200 for pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Lots of people here have installed then and I haven't seen anyone here complain about the quality. The pads are nothing special though. I believe they are still a forum vender too.
many people complain about the quality, it's bottom level garbage. low carbon rotors and cheap cheap pads

the OP could reuse his OE rotors and buy authentic z06 pads from amazon sold under the ac delco label for 150 shipped front and rear. nice increase in stopping power and less than the china made garbage from brakeomotive
Old 05-01-2015, 12:23 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Ya, I'm seen lots of people who never owned a set say they are junk, but find some threads with actual owners who didn't race their car and still had issues with them. I put a set on my car to try them out and they've stood-up as well as the OE ones did.

You can spend $700 or $800 for a set of Baer rotors and get much better rotors. But them, they're about 3x the cost so they'd better be nice rotors.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 05-01-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:32 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Ordered thru them Monday and arrived via FedEx yesterday.
Opened up the boxes....they look good. $190.00 for four rotors plus ceramic pads+free shipping.
Will post when they are installed.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:10 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by runner140*
Opened up the boxes....they look good. $190.00 for four rotors plus ceramic pads+free shipping.
Wow... that's pretty inexpensive
Old 05-01-2015, 09:54 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Wow... that's pretty inexpensive
The jury is still out....until they are installed. But the price is right.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:17 AM
ZigZag
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by runner140*
I've had mine on for over a year with no problems. They look good on and stopping power is excellent. Granted it's just a daily driver and no track time but they are great for the price.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:45 PM
racebum
Race Director

Ya, I'm seen lots of people who never owned a set say they are junk, but find some threads with actual owners who didn't race their car and still had issues with them. I put a set on my car to try them out and they've stood-up as well as the OE ones did.

You can spend $700 or $800 for a set of Baer rotors and get much better rotors. But them, they're about 3x the cost so they'd better be nice rotors.
why? he's already said his stock rotors are in great shape. the OE rotors are very good

brakes and tires are the two most important parts of a car
Old 05-01-2015, 06:32 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Well because he posted he wanted drilled and slotted rotors....

Get notified of new replies

To Buying Rotors

Old 05-03-2015, 07:38 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Nothing wrong with drilled and slotted if you are a "cruiser" kinda guy. If you drive the car HARD, I wouldn't.

BTW, been a tech/mechanic most of my adult life and have never heard of a rotor "clogging" with brake dust.

And I hate the factory style pads, the brake dust makes me want to pull my hair out. For 75% of the guys a high quality ceramic pad the is PROPERLY BEDDED works well on the street.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Nothing wrong with drilled and slotted if you are a "cruiser" kinda guy. If you drive the car HARD, I wouldn't.

BTW, been a tech/mechanic most of my adult life and have never heard of a rotor "clogging" with brake dust.

And I hate the factory style pads, the brake dust makes me want to pull my hair out. For 75% of the guys a high quality ceramic pad the is PROPERLY BEDDED works well on the street.

QUOTE"

QUOTE"
And I hate the factory style pads, the brake dust makes me want to pull my hair out.

You provided the answer to your own statement..
The factory Z51 pads dust pretty bad.
If you have a Z-51 C6,, take a close look at the drilled rotors and see if they are not full of brake dust.
I had to use a drill bit and unclog each front rotor (by hand) after about 25,000 mile.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:31 PM
racebum
Race Director

which brings up another point. a person has to choose low dust or performance. the higher performance you get the more they dust

Quick Reply: Buying Rotors