C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a used LS1. What to check before install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:54 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default Bought a used LS1. What to check before install?

As the title says, I bought a motor. The idea is to replace the one that's in my car working perfectly now.

The new one is used and came from a salvage car. Has a fair amount of documentation with it. It's got a cam installed, new valve springs, pushrods and some other trinkets. Dyno sheet says it was just under 400whp.

I do not know what all work was done to the motor, but I speculate that very little other than adding parts. I want to say it was a budget build, in spite of the choice of some fairly expensive parts. Case in point, a big cam was put in but the stock balancer was not replaced.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the oil pump was not touched, lifters are probably originals given I have no paperwork saying they are new. Rockers are still the stock ones.

I am going to compression test it while it's sitting on the stand. I'd like to compare to the engine that's in my car now which I know to be solid.

My question to the folks here is, What else should I be looking to do before installing this thing in my car? I'm in no rush, this might be months for all I know. I'm buying a balancer for sure. It's got the arp bolt as does mine now. I'm not sure what else to check.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:36 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Just think of all the parts that are going to be easy to replace now.
And a bitch when the engine is installed.
And replace them. Oil pump, water pump, crank seals.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:03 AM
frodo84
Uneducated overachiever
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Do a leak down test, it will give you the best indication of engine health. If you're going to pull the balancer, I would at least look at the chain/gear, and replace the oil pump/o-ring.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:25 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Ok, I was prepped for an oil pump, timing chain and sprockets, and main seals. Just wasn't sure what else to look for. Thinking I might do lifters, the heads will have to come off to put it in anyway since I'm going in the top (for now). Unless I buy a lift first, this'll be done the old fashioned way.

I'm hoping to avoid an entire rebuild and machine work.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:23 PM
OWENMUSTANG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Above + check rods and mains.

( any used engine of unknown history should get checked..unless you like pulling engines)
Old 05-02-2015, 09:44 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by frodo84
Do a leak down test, it will give you the best indication of engine health. If you're going to pull the balancer, I would at least look at the chain/gear, and replace the oil pump/o-ring.

should have done the leakdown before you bought.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:03 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

I don't own a leakdown tester so so that wasn't an option. Might buy one now though.

I did have the very recent dyno slip and a bunch of documentation. The car was wrecked so I'm guessing it worked good enough to get the last owner in trouble.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought a used LS1. What to check before install?

Quick Reply: Bought a used LS1. What to check before install?