C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about HUD Install and top HUD connector. 98 to whatever year cluster.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 11:57 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default Question about HUD Install and top HUD connector. 98 to whatever year cluster.

Ok, so I'm finally installing my HUD, but I ran into an issue. I thought I'd planned it out well, being able to save my Odometer reading by pulling the board from the cluster I bought and using my old one.

I had saved the thread about "Corvette Speedometer/Cluster replacement... odometer info transferred?" and I figured this was my saving grace. Well, turns out that is not the case. I'm not sure what the reasoning was for this thread, the info is cool and all, but it won't help me since my cluster/DIC control board doesn't have the HUD connector.

It DOES however have all the holes for the connector, so if I was to de-solder the connector from the newer hud controller and solder it to mine, will that work? I have all the surface mount caps on the board though some are slightly different sizes and none have values marked on them. I would like to assume this is the case and just do the solder work, saving my odometer settings, but if I can't I guess such is life. At that point, I really don't care about the odometer as long as the PCM won't have a fit talking to a new cluster. I hope that's not the case.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:43 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Found lots of answers in this thread , then did the conversion on my own cluster which is a 98, and everything works.

(edit) (Now that this thread was resurrected 4 years later...)

While it did work partially, the controls did not work on the old cluster and I did have to use the newer cluster in order to have all the functions on the hud work. While the hardware was partially there, the firmware in the IPC was not complete and simply cycled through various modes when it was in the mood. Roughly ever few startups or running hours, it would change to a different display, and you had no control over that.

After changing the cluster, everything was just peachy and still is to this day. (though I no longer own the car)

Last edited by K-Spaz; 09-17-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:59 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Are you saying that the large green motherboard does not contain the odometer info? I find that hard to believe.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:06 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

No, I'm saying that the purpose for getting the other cluster for my HUD is because it has that connector on it. But if I change that board, I am basically then using the old one, so that doesn't help me. I had to desolder the connector from board in the "Hud Enabled" cluster and put it on my board so my odometer would stay with the car. That thread talked about swapping the DIC controller board for use in a HUD car, but I'm not sure what that accomplishes unless both were HUD enabled to begin with.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:27 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

So his Thread was accurate for what he was doing? All IPC were HUD enabled after 1998 even if you did not have a HUD.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:47 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dadaroo
So his Thread was accurate for what he was doing? All IPC were HUD enabled after 1998 even if you did not have a HUD.
And what I'm saying is if you already have a hud enabled cluster, what's the point of changing it?

It's all good, I thought before looking at it all that I could swap that board in mine and I'd be in good shape, that's not the case.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:45 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

He was not changing the cluster but the mother board. I talked with him years ago when I was trying to confirm which green board contained the odometer info. I forget what was wrong in the IPC but his mother board was good so he swapped it into another IPC and did not have to reset the mileage.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:14 PM
VETTLIFE
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

These threads completely address HUD to instrument cluster compatibility HERE and HERE

Last edited by VETTLIFE; 09-20-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about HUD Install and top HUD connector. 98 to whatever year cluster.

Quick Reply: Question about HUD Install and top HUD connector. 98 to whatever year cluster.