C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 HVAC question/problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 07:59 PM
joe's98
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17
Default 98 HVAC question/problem

Hi All, I have a 98 with manual climate control. It is blowing air out of all vents (heater, AC, and defrost) but will not move to only one circuit. Not sure if it is related, but I am hearing a whistling sound at cruise speed and it will go away under throttle. Are these vents totally electrically operated, or do they use a vacuum assist? Thank you for your help.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:40 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by joe's98
Hi All, I have a 98 with manual climate control. It is blowing air out of all vents (heater, AC, and defrost) but will not move to only one circuit. Not sure if it is related, but I am hearing a whistling sound at cruise speed and it will go away under throttle. Are these vents totally electrically operated, or do they use a vacuum assist? Thank you for your help.
On the C60 systems (such as yours), the mode select actuation is vacuum and the temp selection switch is electric.

Find the source of the "whistle" and you will likely find a vacuum line loose/disconnected or broken.
Be advised, the primary source of engine vacuum for the HVAC system comes off the rear of the intake manifold via a small black nylon vacuum line, and is routed inside the main wiring bundle, going down the right rear of the engine compartment. From there it breaks out of the wiring harness and is connected to a black plastic vacuum reservoir tank through a small check valve, which is located below and behind the battery (above the pcm mount). From there it goes through the firewall into the engine compartment to supply vacuum to the control head.
Since you say you can hear a whistle inside the car, you should be able to remove the console/radio surround and unbolt the HVAC control head. Pull it out slightly and you'll see a number of different colored nylon vacuum lines connected to the backside of the mode selector switch on the control panel.
Follow the whistle.

Btw, if your connection on the back of the manifold is loose (or off) you'll need to repair or reconnect it.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:22 PM
joe's98
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
On the C60 systems (such as yours), the mode select actuation is vacuum and the temp selection switch is electric.

Find the source of the "whistle" and you will likely find a vacuum line loose/disconnected or broken.
Be advised, the primary source of engine vacuum for the HVAC system comes off the rear of the intake manifold via a small black nylon vacuum line, and is routed inside the main wiring bundle, going down the right rear of the engine compartment. From there it breaks out of the wiring harness and is connected to a black plastic vacuum reservoir tank through a small check valve, which is located below and behind the battery (above the pcm mount). From there it goes through the firewall into the engine compartment to supply vacuum to the control head.
Since you say you can hear a whistle inside the car, you should be able to remove the console/radio surround and unbolt the HVAC control head. Pull it out slightly and you'll see a number of different colored nylon vacuum lines connected to the backside of the mode selector switch on the control panel.
Follow the whistle.

Btw, if your connection on the back of the manifold is loose (or off) you'll need to repair or reconnect it.
Thank you for the help. I will start looking. Hope it is simple!
Old 05-03-2015, 10:42 PM
joe's98
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Follow the whistle.

You were spot on. I had just installed a double din stereo and had left a plug with two lines that go into the temp adjuster off. Thank you very much!
Old 05-03-2015, 11:16 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by joe's98
You were spot on. I had just installed a double din stereo and had left a plug with two lines that go into the temp adjuster off. Thank you very much!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:11 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Nice job buddy!

Get notified of new replies

To 98 HVAC question/problem

Quick Reply: 98 HVAC question/problem