C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, one more HUD install question about the DIC board.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:29 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default Ok, one more HUD install question about the DIC board.

So I got my HUD in and working, thought everything was great, turns out it is not. It appeared as if I got a faulty switch with mine, after some investigation, I thought (incorrectly) that the "Page" button was stuck in the active position. Well, that's not the case, the buttons work just fine. Also thought I might have wired it wrong, that's not the case either.

It appears the controller puts +5vdc on the inputs to those switches in order to allow the buttons to pull to ground making them active. Well, my pin coming from the board in mine (1998 cluster) does not have +5 on that last light blue wire. Hence, the DIC thinks I'm sitting there holding the page button in when I am not...

So ok, I need to find how to put +5 on that pin and hope that it is indeed connected to the controller chip so it stops cycling. Mine cycles about 5 times or so through all screens, then the system basically says "Look dude, if you're gonna just hold that damn button, I'm gonna just give you speed and turn signals"

I need to find the +5 rail on that board and run a resistor to that pin (#10 on the DIC connector). This should be a real hoot...

If anyone has any insights on this, I'm all ears. I'm about to tear the cluster board back out, plug it in and start searching for +5 on there. I can't find any voltage regulators on the board so for all I know the +5 might be getting supplied from the main harness. I have the spare board out here now and nothing is jumping out at me as the +5 rail.

I've also tried tracing the pin back to something on the board but I'm not having any luck there either.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:10 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Well, I found +5 several places and soldered a 5K resistor and jumper wire from that to the pin in question. Put it all back together and it didn't solve the issue. Still cycles through the pages till it shuts down everything but the speed.

This is starting to get irritating.
I am not positive, but I think this is a layered board and that's why I can't seem to trace these connections. Then the vias on this board are damn near microscopic. It's all but impossible to follow them. I did follow the pin from the white card-edge connector through a 1.8k resistor and to some other vias. I went from there till it hit either the ground plane or power plane. But, of course that's not helping either. Either I got confused somewhere or I'm going the wrong direction. I've gone from that pin 10 to virtually everything on this board (newer hud enabled board which I assume worked, but never tried) and I cannot find where it goes.

Quick Reply: Ok, one more HUD install question about the DIC board.