C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 AC/heater issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Jimmyzinoc
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 AC/heater issue

Hello, I have a 1998 c5 vette with a strange ac/heater issue. On the passenger side, it will blow either hot or cold, depending on the setting but on the driver side, it will only blow normal air. Its not blocked vents or bad fan as I will get good air flow on the driver side vents but no heat or ac. Passenger side will blow the correct temp. Whats even abit stranger is that for years, the ac worked fine on both sides, it was only the heater that wouldn't blow hot on the driver side but now its both ac and heat not coming through on the driver side.

Any ideas what the cause could be? For what its worth, the display on the digital ac/heater unit is very dim but all the controls work fine.
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2015, 10:41 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Search for Dim Dark Display Fix, there is a thread that tells you how to fix your HVAC head unit display.

Your blend doors are not working properly. There are ones dedicated to the passengers and drivers sides.

Start by pulling the codes from your car. Report back with what they are.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:49 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Sounds like actuator... remove the HVAC CON MiniFuse® #27 from the Instrument Panel Electrical Center after waiting a few minutes put the fuse back into its proper position. When the HVAC Control Assembly is first connected to power, the system will perform an initialization routine lasting approximately 60 seconds. During this routine, both RH and LH electric actuators will cycle full travel in both directions learning the end positions. have seen where just "whipping" the controls is not good for them, I don't know if the actuator just can't keep up with the signal it's getting or exactly what happens but, it kinda makes sense.... sorta like jumping in the car and just BAM firing it off throwing it in gear and zooming off... not such a good thing.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...splay-fix.html

Last edited by 73Corvette; 05-05-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:35 AM
Jimmyzinoc
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Sounds like actuator... remove the HVAC CON MiniFuse® #27 from the Instrument Panel Electrical Center after waiting a few minutes put the fuse back into its proper position. When the HVAC Control Assembly is first connected to power, the system will perform an initialization routine lasting approximately 60 seconds. During this routine, both RH and LH electric actuators will cycle full travel in both directions learning the end positions. have seen where just "whipping" the controls is not good for them, I don't know if the actuator just can't keep up with the signal it's getting or exactly what happens but, it kinda makes sense.... sorta like jumping in the car and just BAM firing it off throwing it in gear and zooming off... not such a good thing.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...splay-fix.html

Thanks for the heads up guys!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 AC/heater issue

Quick Reply: C5 AC/heater issue