C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short runner manifold vs long runner manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:13 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Short runner manifold vs long runner manifolds

Trying to keep this short and to the point (pun intended): I understand that short runner manifolds will produce maximum torque later in the rpm band than long runner manifolds. The question is how much later? Is there a calculation to estimate where that point is relative to the long runner manifolds?
I am not looking for a mega rwhp/rwtq monster but rather a capable street driven street friendly ‘vette but with sufficient power (415 to 435 at the wheels NA). I am also looking for something “different” and a little exotic under the hood. I have the opportunity to obtain an Ozmo short runner single throttle body (90mm flange) manifold at a substantial discount below original price (pic attached). I am not running a supercharger or turbo, but I am running a 150HP jetted Nitrous plate (for when that 415 at the wheels needs a little help). Aside from fitment (it will require a cowl hood, which I already have and possibly some clearance cut in the cowl but that is unclear at this point) I am curious how much low end torque I would lose versus the ported LS6 manifold and ported 78mm throttle body I have installed now.
Other supporting mods currently on the car that may affect the calculation include; XS-Power LT’s, Hi flo cats.Ti exhaust, TSP 224R cam @114 with .581 lift, RHS pro Action 205 cc heads 2.02Int/1.6exh valves upgraded springs/rockers/trunions/lifters etc., LS3 timing chain, Melling HV oil pump, and a Black Wing CAI.
This is on a 2000 Coupe 6spd with a stock bottom end and the 3:42 differential but upgraded to C6 Z06 internals and shafts, LG Carbon Fiber drive shaft and the LS7 clutch and fly wheel with Tick adjustable master. Thanks for any information and experience you can pass on.

Not in a C5 but gives you an idea of size and runner length

Last edited by alxltd1; 05-10-2015 at 08:36 AM. Reason: added additional pics
Old 05-09-2015, 12:55 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice looking manifold.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:20 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Wow 4000.00 retail. Definitely unique. Most likely the trade off in low end torque loss (under 3000 rpms) will be made up in the upper rpm horsepower gain. When i swapped from a ls6 designed intake to the edelbrock victor jr on my 408 motor, i really didnt feel any torque loss. Did notice a huge gain in upper rpms. Hp peaked after 7200 rpms.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:29 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mrr23
Wow 4000.00 retail. Definitely unique. Most likely the trade off in low end torque loss (under 3000 rpms) will be made up in the upper rpm horsepower gain. When i swapped from a ls6 designed intake to the edelbrock victor jr on my 408 motor, i really didnt feel any torque loss. Did notice a huge gain in upper rpms. Hp peaked after 7200 rpms.
Believe me, if it was not being offered at a substantial amount below that I would not even consider it. I am just trying to figure out if the loss in low end torque would be very great or could be mitigated somewhat with say a change to 3:90 gears.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:29 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Being a six speed i doubt you would notice with the 3.42 you have now. I had 3.73 auto 3600 stall in my formula and only felt more power.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:18 AM
davisce
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alxltd1
Trying to keep this short and to the point (pun intended): I understand that short runner manifolds will produce maximum torque later in the rpm band than long runner manifolds. The question is how much later? Is there a calculation to estimate where that point is relative to the long runner manifolds?
I am not looking for a mega rwhp/rwtq monster but rather a capable street driven street friendly ‘vette but with sufficient power (415 to 435 at the wheels NA). I am also looking for something “different” and a little exotic under the hood. I have the opportunity to obtain an Ozmo short runner single throttle body (90mm flange) manifold at a substantial discount below original price (pic attached). I am not running a supercharger or turbo, but I am running a 150HP jetted Nitrous plate (for when that 415 at the wheels needs a little help). Aside from fitment (it will require a cowl hood, which I already have and possibly some clearance cut in the cowl but that is unclear at this point) I am curious how much low end torque I would lose versus the ported LS6 manifold and ported 78mm throttle body I have installed now.
Other supporting mods currently on the car that may affect the calculation include; XS-Power LT’s, Hi flo cats.Ti exhaust, TSP 224R cam @114 with .581 lift, RHS pro Action 205 cc heads 2.02Int/1.6exh valves upgraded springs/rockers/trunions/lifters etc., LS3 timing chain, Melling HV oil pump, and a Black Wing CAI.
This is on a 2000 Coupe 6spd with a stock bottom end and the 3:42 differential but upgraded to C6 Z06 internals and shafts, LG Carbon Fiber drive shaft and the LS7 clutch and fly wheel with Tick adjustable master. Thanks for any information and experience you can pass on.

Not in a C5 but gives you an idea of size and runner length

First of all let me say that's one nice looking intake, WOW ! I've done a little "INTAKE SWAPING" on my 1999 C5 and this is what I've come up with. It's a "RCI Performance custom design/made Intake (http://www.rciperformance.com/Default.asp) for Corvettes.

RCI Performance Intake, Carbon Fiber Hydro-Dipped.

RCI Performance Intake, Carbon Fiber Hydro-Dipped. Coil Covers from Holley, also Carbon Fiber Hydro-Dipped.

RCI Performance Intake, Carbon Fiber Hydro-Dipped. Air Bridge (not shown) was also Carbon Fiber Hydro-Dipped.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:36 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=davisce;1589600928]First of all let me say that's one nice looking intake, WOW ! I've done a little "INTAKE SWAPING" on my 1999 C5 and this is what I've come up with. It's a "RCI Performance custom design/made Intake (http://www.rciperformance.com/Default.asp) for Corvettes.

That is a very nice looking intake as well. Are you running any forced induction or strictly naturally aspirated? Did it fit without any clearance issues with the cowl/wiper pan?

Also I have the same coil covers from Holley that will be dipped as well. They look great on your engine.

Last edited by alxltd1; 05-10-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:30 PM
smartadze
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by alxltd1
I understand that short runner manifolds will produce maximum torque later in the rpm band than long runner manifolds. The question is how much later? Is there a calculation to estimate where that point is relative to the long runner manifolds?
Other supporting mods currently on the car that may affect the calculation include; TSP 224R cam @114 with .581 lift, RHS pro Action 205 cc heads 2.02Int/1.6exh valves
No experience with this particular manifold, but in general the new, shorter-runner manifold is better suited to your improved cam and heads, than was the longer-runner LS6 manifold.

In other words, if you were making comparison to a stock cam and heads, the answer might be in doubt (would I experience a loss of lower-end torque?). But with the new cam and heads, there should be little or no change, and possibly improvement due to better flow match. At higher rpm's, of course, the new manifold should prove noticeably superior.

Hell, it looks so damn trick that I'd never even have to start the car! :-)
Old 05-10-2015, 04:15 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Even at half price it's not worth the performance gain. Jmo, as I'm not into engine cosmetics that're only good for car shows. Both the fake CF manifolds are cool, but I'd bet a ported FAST setup would produce more power. I don't like the coil covers at all. Nice aftermarket valve covers, with relocated coil packs look much better.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:12 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
Even at half price it's not worth the performance gain. Jmo, as I'm not into engine cosmetics that're only good for car shows. Both the fake CF manifolds are cool, but I'd bet a ported FAST setup would produce more power. I don't like the coil covers at all. Nice aftermarket valve covers, with relocated coil packs look much better.
Well... that wasn't very nice
Old 05-11-2015, 11:36 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
I think an honest opinion is preferable to being just another leg humper.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:21 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Originally Posted by zeevette
I think an honest opinion is preferable to being just another leg humper.
Well you certainly are welcome to your opinion, and I understand that posing a question on the forum or anywhere on the internet opens it up to opinions even if the opinion is not in direct response to the question posed. So I will assume you have no experience in the question asked, and wanted only to express your opinion, which while noted is of no consequence in my decisions. But hey have a nice day, and be assured that if I am ever in need of having my leg humped you will certainly be the last person I ask.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:58 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Get notified of new replies

To Short runner manifold vs long runner manifolds

Quick Reply: Short runner manifold vs long runner manifolds