C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I broke my differential

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:18 PM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think I broke my differential

After a hard 1st to 2nd shift, I'm having some really bad clunking/bucking from the rear when I start off in from a stop. Once I get up to speed it ok *** long as I don't press the gas to hard. Sound like a rear diff?
Old 05-10-2015, 03:02 PM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Ok, I got the car in the air and took the tires off just to get a good visual. Everything looks fine and no fluids are coming out. However, if I spin one rotor the other does not spin. Isn't the other side supposed to spin too? Maybe one of the outputs broke?
Old 05-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

How bad is the clunk? When I had symptoms like you are describing it was because I sheared the cross pin in the differential into 3 pieces. The posi ate itself from the inside after that.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:19 AM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sigforty
How bad is the clunk? When I had symptoms like you are describing it was because I sheared the cross pin in the differential into 3 pieces. The posi ate itself from the inside after that.
I would rate the clunk at "brutal". I limped it home but if I gave it more than 5% throttle, it would clunk so hard that is shook the car.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You either broke the cross shaft spider gear/s OR busted an output shaft.

You have to remove the differential either way... Here are some post for you to read and they will give you some ideas and may some upgrades on the cheep:

- C5, ragtopws6 , Upgrading your C5 rear with C6 Z06 guts, : http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-z06-guts.html
-

- C5, Its_Go_Time, Output Shaft Install - Left and Right: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1573407966

- C5 Differential Seal replacement: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...on-photos.html
-
Old 05-11-2015, 08:23 PM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
You either broke the cross shaft spider gear/s OR busted an output shaft.

You have to remove the differential either way... Here are some post for you to read and they will give you some ideas and may some upgrades on the cheep:

- C5, ragtopws6 , Upgrading your C5 rear with C6 Z06 guts, : http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-z06-guts.html
-

- C5, Its_Go_Time, Output Shaft Install - Left and Right: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1573407966

- C5 Differential Seal replacement: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...on-photos.html
-
Awesome! Thanks again, Bill. I think you answer like 95% of my questions here Time to get to reading.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:08 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Yup...sounds like mine when it went. Clutch packs broke and a gear was stripped. Rpm is the best at rebuilding them. Stage 3 different for sure, and if you don't have it, a dts brace.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Another option for differential service is

RKT56.com

Rick Kim does EXELLENT work and will build the differential to any level that you want.

Excellent service

Once you get it out of the car, you will be able to diagnose it better

Bill
Old 05-23-2015, 09:14 PM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Default Update

Got the differential apart today. Cross shaft is good but the spider gears are chewed up and the clutch preload springs were broken. Clutch packs and springs were so messed up I didnt even need a special tool to remove the cross shaft. Just pushed right out with my fingers. There were two pieces of preload spring left that made about 3/4 of a circle on the long shaft side and just on piece that was about 1/3 of a cirlce on the other. The discs are REALLY worn too. Should have had that changed a long time ago. I suspect the preload springs broke and started havoc with the spider gears.

One question though. The inside of the differential where all the spider gears and such are, the walls are a little marred in places. Would this affect anything on a rebuild?
Old 05-24-2015, 11:13 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 01silvercoupe
Got the differential apart today. Cross shaft is good but the spider gears are chewed up and the clutch preload springs were broken. Clutch packs and springs were so messed up I didnt even need a special tool to remove the cross shaft. Just pushed right out with my fingers. There were two pieces of preload spring left that made about 3/4 of a circle on the long shaft side and just on piece that was about 1/3 of a cirlce on the other. The discs are REALLY worn too. Should have had that changed a long time ago. I suspect the preload springs broke and started havoc with the spider gears.

One question though. The inside of the differential where all the spider gears and such are, the walls are a little marred in places. Would this affect anything on a rebuild?
Unless its a machine fit surface, I would say remove the burrs and fix the gears, clutches and springs. Make sure that you upgrade to C6 parts.

RPM sells a harder and better designed cross shaft. I also installed one of those:

New shaft on the left:

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 05-24-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:00 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Might be time to upgrade the ring and pinion also.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:31 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 92GA
Might be time to upgrade the ring and pinion also.
Sometimes we take the C5 differential for granted. Its NOT a typical GM diferential. To replace the pinion carrier, the ring and pinion or any of the bearings, you have to have the rearend properly set up using the correct shims and set up tool that is required to do the job correctly.

Sometimes, the basic "fix whats wrong and move on" is whats necessary. Just didnt want the OP to think that just anyone can slap in a ring and pinion and move on.. Its NOT happening..

Bill
Old 05-24-2015, 05:47 PM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Yeah, just reading about changing the ring and pinion makes me sweat lol. So what is the best way to clean all the fluid off of the differential parts (Like any particular solvent).

Also, does anyone have part numbers for all of the differential internals. I found cluctch pack/spring part numbers but I don't know about spider gears or any other pieces that may need replacing?

Huge thanks for the help so far!!

Last edited by 01silvercoupe; 05-24-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Two places that I know will be able to help you out:

Gene Culley If its GM and available OEM, he will have it. Give him a call.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...kend-sale.html

Rick Kim RKT56.com He can get any differential parts as he rebuilds differentials and transmissions.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:57 PM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Two places that I know will be able to help you out:

Gene Culley If its GM and available OEM, he will have it. Give him a call.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...kend-sale.html

Rick Kim RKT56.com He can get any differential parts as he rebuilds differentials and transmissions.
Awesome, Thank!

Get notified of new replies

To I think I broke my differential

Quick Reply: I think I broke my differential