C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Tube Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 10:42 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Torque Tube Questions

I'm in the middle of replacing the clutch. I found the pilot bearing utterly destroyed, and I'm not entirely sure why. Decided while the clutch was out (just recently sent it to McLeod to upgrade my RST to an RXT), I'd take apart the torque tube and check the bearings and couplers.

As much research as I thought I did...it apparently wasn't enough. I know there are two torque tube designs, and it just needs a couple whacks with a mallet to pop the driveshaft assembly out of the TT. However, I'm a bit confused. I separated it from the trans by disconnecting the shift linkage (loosened the lock collar with the T40 bit), so I have the linkage tube dangling from the trans now. Once I did that, I expected to see 12 or so bolts that I'd need to remove and then remove the driveshaft.

However, there is a huge snap ring embedded in there. I thought this was on the end of the driveshaft and only needed to be removed if I wanted to replace the bearings?

So...my question. Does this large snap ring need to be removed to be able to shake out the TT contents? I've probably answered my own question, as I see no other way to do it...

Also, I can spin the shaft on one end and see the bearing wobbling...it has some runout. I don't know what an acceptable amount of runout is...

Thanks!

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 05-12-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:49 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5

So...my question. Does this large snap ring need to be removed to be able to shake out the TT contents? I've probably answered my own question, as I see no other way to do it...
Correct
Old 05-13-2015, 07:19 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Correct
Do you always have to be so long winded...

Get notified of new replies

To Torque Tube Questions

Quick Reply: Torque Tube Questions