C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different GM crank pulley question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Different GM crank pulley question...

I have seen lots of comments on aftermart and GM/ACDelco pulleys...but has anyone actually used the original GM crank pulley/Balancer/damper and been satisfied with it? A top rated Corvette mechanic here told me that he has put lots of aftermart dampers on and they are back 6 months later with problems then he puts a new original damper back on and it lasts for at least another 5 years...WTF??? When I mention an ATI or other aftermart damper he says to just use the GM part... is he just trying to sell me a GM part???
Sorry if this a repeat question but I did not see it in my search here...
Old 05-18-2015, 10:36 AM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Fact of the matter is, the stock pulley SHOULD last 7-10 years considering its construction, depending on the environment you live in and how it gets used, and assuming your motor is stockish.

I would very much doubt he is wrong in the fact that in general people are cheap, buy the cheapest pulley they can find, and its crap and causes issues. If you buy a non gm part that costs the same/similar to the gm part it will last a similar amount of time I imagine. I wouldn't put a $60 ebay pulley on and expect it to last or work correctly, though you could get lucky.

The stock dampener has been on my car for 12 years and 42k miles with plenty of track time. So thats pretty reasonable for a rubber isolated part imo. I guess i am happy with it. Only reason I haven't replaced it with a new stock one is cause its a pain and it still works.

Last edited by Socko; 05-18-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:16 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

LMAO!! I have the old designed Power Bond dampener. Its been on since 2004. NOT A SINGLE ISSUE WITH IT! In fact its been on and off the car 2 times (for different issues) and its still 100%.

The Power Bond is now under the Dayco manufacture.

http://dayco.com.au/products.aspx?G=18012255&P=18040079

Its is a very reliable dampener. Trust me,,, If it can preform reliably the way I drive my car, its not going to break on yours.

Bill
Old 05-19-2015, 08:12 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Nine years ago, I had my original damper walk on me at an HPDE. When I replaced it I put on another GM damper but pinned it this time. Of the 19,000 miles I have put on the car since the pinned damper--2nd owner-- almost 15000 of them have been autocrosses or HPDE or Time Trial events. Not a problem with it, but now I check the alignment and tensioners regularly.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:12 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ATI and forget it.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:45 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

My ATI has been on over five years and runs as true now as is it did new, with no squeaks. The idler pulley has almost no movement on it's pivot arm instead of the dance it did with the GM damper.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I'm went supercharged and a brand new GM damper (mechanics choice)... It was wobbling virtually the first time I looked at, not many miles at all, I got a ATI blem from ATI on eBay (big discount), I could not see scratches that were reason for discount out of the car! In the car, who cares ...you can barely see damper, labor is the big expence, buy it once and be done!
Old 05-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
LMAO!! I have the old designed Power Bond dampener. Its been on since 2004. NOT A SINGLE ISSUE WITH IT! In fact its been on and off the car 2 times (for different issues) and its still 100%.

The Power Bond is now under the Dayco manufacture.

http://dayco.com.au/products.aspx?G=18012255&P=18040079

Its is a very reliable dampener. Trust me,,, If it can preform reliably the way I drive my car, its not going to break on yours.

Bill
Thanks!...Update...I went with the powerbond and it is now on and not wobbling like the acdelco pulley....surprise surprise...lol

Get notified of new replies

To Different GM crank pulley question...

Quick Reply: Different GM crank pulley question...