C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfires

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Trios
First you purchase something like this.

Then you purchase and install Torque Pro

Then you connect to the Bluetooth adapter and start playing around
I have that, which I have used on my truck, didn't think about it on the vette because of the DIC on the vette ????
Old 05-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by akapounder
I have that, which I have used on my truck, didn't think about it on the vette because of the DIC on the vette ????
DIC doesn't show you misfires and fuel trims, or do any logging.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:32 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

DIC doesn't show you misfires and fuel trims, or do any logging.
Yes I get that now (sometimes after 60 years your a bit slow) except in the vette, If you don't feel a miss, then you don't have one LOL !!!
Old 05-22-2015, 10:53 AM
bluevette2001
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by akapounder
Yes I get that now (sometimes after 60 years your a bit slow) except in the vette, If you don't feel a miss, then you don't have one LOL !!!
No true, you really need to see misfire counts per cylinder, the CEL doesn't come on till you get a certain number of misfires in a set time period (forget what the number is exactly). All cylinders get misfires from time to time, it's excessive misfires that's a problem.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bluevette2001
No true, you really need to see misfire counts per cylinder, the CEL doesn't come on till you get a certain number of misfires in a set time period (forget what the number is exactly). All cylinders get misfires from time to time, it's excessive misfires that's a problem.
You didn't notice the LOL
Old 05-24-2015, 12:48 PM
kcbc
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MISFIRE??? .... really?

any1 here knows about mode 6 on OBD2 ???
any1 here heard of tech2 scanner?
how bout freeze frame?
I bet if the shop charge a customer pulling and putting new plugs and cables by trying to solve a misfire issue most of you would not agree to pay for the parts and labor ....---> agree?
Old 05-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Trios
Drifting

Originally Posted by kcbc
any1 here knows about mode 6 on OBD2 ???
any1 here heard of tech2 scanner?
how bout freeze frame?
I bet if the shop charge a customer pulling and putting new plugs and cables by trying to solve a misfire issue most of you would not agree to pay for the parts and labor ....---> agree?
Uh, what?

I don't understand. Please speak English.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:03 PM
kcbc
Instructor

Default in english ..

obd2 is the system ur car currently running mandated by EPA and install on all production cars 96' and newer...
mode 6 is the original records of a misfire or any diagnostic code before it reach threshold to generate a trouble code and store in ur ECM memory
tech2 is the factory scanner to all gm cars except global version

google the terms ...they are technical auto repair acronyms and they are in English
all of the above items is normally what a professional auto tech use to identify and diagnose misfire on GM ....
Old 05-24-2015, 01:07 PM
kcbc
Instructor

Default 1 more...

Uh, what?

I don't understand. Please speak English.

freeze are defined by the moment from 0-7 sec later after ur compter considered a misfire which it automatically generate a trouble code and it store some operate parameters conditions such as temp,rpm,vehicle speed...blah blah blah.....
that's is the date which a real mechanic needs to diagnose causes of
misfiring....its scientific not guessing
google the terms and u will know what I am talking about
Old 05-24-2015, 01:13 PM
Trios
Drifting

Did you even read the thread?

I've been using an OBD2 scanner to read my misfires. I have random misfires on all cylinders and quite a few more on cylinder 6.

Knowing that I have a problem with cylinder 6 doesn't tell me what the problem is. Swapping wires, plugs and then coils is an easy way to determine if the problem is the wire, plug, or coil. A Tech 2 can't tell you if the problem is the wire, just which cylinder it is.

Slow down, read the thread you're replying to, and use proper spelling and punctuation when you reply and people will take you more seriously.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:33 PM
kcbc
Instructor

Default read the post again

[QUOTE=Trios;1589694844]Did you even read the thread?

I've been using an OBD2 scanner to read my misfires. I have random misfires on all cylinders and quite a few more on cylinder 6.

Knowing that I have a problem with cylinder 6 doesn't tell me what the problem is. Swapping wires, plugs and then coils is an easy way to determine if the problem is the wire, plug, or coil. A Tech 2 can't tell you if the problem is the wire, just which cylinder it is.

Slow down, read the thread you're replying to, and use proper spelling and punctuation when you reply and people will take you more seriously.[/QUOTE
I did read it very careful....u mentioned p0300 which is random misfire happened previous to this time....
that is why I suggest using mode 6 on OBD2 to look at the true offender
freeze frame help to determine what condition when symptoms happended that's what Chevrolet TSB includes on misfire code...
OBD2 scanner don't get all factory codes which might be essential info...
my snap on scanners costed me over $15000 and it still doesn't cover as good as factory scan tool such as tech 2 ,DRB3 ......blah blah blah .....
correctly obtain information is a lot easier than random excessive labor
I apologize for some txting wording are use due to convenience
Old 05-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Trios
Drifting

Originally Posted by kcbc
I did read it very careful....u mentioned p0300 which is random misfire happened previous to this time....
that is why I suggest using mode 6 on OBD2 to look at the true offender
freeze frame help to determine what condition when symptoms happended that's what Chevrolet TSB includes on misfire code...
OBD2 scanner don't get all factory codes which might be essential info...
my snap on scanners costed me over $15000 and it still doesn't cover as good as factory scan tool such as tech 2 ,DRB3 ......blah blah blah .....
correctly obtain information is a lot easier than random excessive labor
I apologize for some txting wording are use due to convenience
Ok. Please leave my thread. I don't want you here anymore.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:27 PM
kcbc
Instructor

Default opssed !!

Ok. Please leave my thread. I don't want you here anymore.

I am sorry for barking at the wrong tree and your point is well taken.
Your post is not a real problem existing but a pop quiz on who knows more. By the way,I have check my spelling and punctuation this time .
Old 06-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Trios
Drifting

So, I'm pretty sure i know what's going on.

I put in a new PCM when I got the mail-order tune. My old PCM was doing some really, really strange things (click this to see some strange sheet) so I had ECS set me up with a new PCM with their tune in it.

I never did the CASE relearn after installing it. Bad me.

I'll see if I can find someone local with a Tech 2 who can help me do the relearn, otherwise I'll swing by some shop to do it. I still have the new wires that I'll be putting on, but my bet is that it's the CASE problem and not real misfires.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:50 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

So, I'm pretty sure i know what's going on.

I put in a new PCM when I got the mail-order tune. My old PCM was doing some really, really strange things (click this to see some strange sheet) so I had ECS set me up with a new PCM with their tune in it.

I never did the CASE relearn after installing it. Bad me.

I'll see if I can find someone local with a Tech 2 who can help me do the relearn, otherwise I'll swing by some shop to do it. I still have the new wires that I'll be putting on, but my bet is that it's the CASE problem and not real misfires.
Glad you got your problem figured out. Mine hasn't had much issue as of late. Its real temperamental

Quick Reply: Misfires