C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust cutouts

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:31 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You can check out this post from a while ago as well: (see post number 3 from Patches, it was the basis I used for my mount but it also includes a mount similar to StrangelovesM6Vert)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-outs-c5.html
Old 05-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Jay Bizzal
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh yeah the doesnt seem too bad, i havent welded in ages though. however i do want the satisfaction of welding it myself instead of paying someone. ill let you guys know how it goes and what i decide when do it. Thinks again for all the advice
Old 05-22-2015, 07:41 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Here are my QTP cutouts.

Originally Posted by Dope
I've been running electric cutouts on my 99 FRC for about 12 years. It doesn't seem to make a huge difference either way, except for the loudness level of course. Never had any problem with the tuning and did not make any changes at all when I installed them.

Dope
Did you have a lot of backfiring before you tuned it ? Mine has cutouts with a stock tune and it seems to run fine, but I do get a lot of backfiring whenever engine braking, just letting it coast down on its own power. My Aprilia motorcycle did that a lot with the stock tune, and after I got a custom tune, the backfiring went away and the powerband was improved. Is it worth tuning an otherwise stock car ?

I'd like a Corsa or Borla catback or something. But they are expensive. Someone said they are worth it compare to the flowmasters etc.

The cutouts sound gnarly. Much better than stock mufflers, but I test drove some other cars with much deeper sounding systems. However it's nice to have the stock mufflers and be able to shut the cutouts and have a quiet car driving in and out of my neighborhood late at night.

I open and shut them every drive. Lately I've noticed in the halfway position, if they're not fully open or shut, they rattle. Haven't had time to look yet.

Last edited by Corvette#2; 05-22-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Jay Bizzal
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like that setup corvette2, it looks like it flows great and shoots the heat away from the car. I think that might be the design i go for. Is that the stock exhaust?

Quick Reply: exhaust cutouts