C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 10:02 PM
djmlax89
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Were you tuning on the Dyno as well, or just seeing what gains you had from adding headers?
It was tuned when I first got the car and had the bullet exhaust installed (so I had a baseline to start from), and retuned on the dyno following the header install.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:17 AM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

This is from an OLD article written by Chuck Mallett... for what it's worth
Things have changed a bunch in the last 16 years... that being said unless your doing more upgrades... heads/cam etc... he may be making a good point.

The LS-1 needs headers. Not true. In stock motors, the exhaust headers actually flow better than the engine’s heads, and adding headers will not add power (and may cost power from reduced exhaust scavenging and velocity). Like the computer, our 372 cubic inch LS-1 motors use stock headers and H-pipes, and work very well with them, and there certainly isn’t 30 horsepower hidden in there. The catalytic converters remain the biggest restriction in the C5’s exhaust system, to the tune of about 12 horsepower on an otherwise stock motor. There are several other points which are important to remember emissions controls are a reality—to comply with tightening standards, the double-wall headers and H-pipe should stay on the car (this promotes quick catalyst light-off). Also, a little back pressure in the exhaust is a good thing—the catalytic converters and mufflers provide enough so that the LS-1 has a strong low-end pull. Without a little back pressure, the car would not have the low-rpm torque it currently enjoys. The good news the money you wanted to spend on headers can now be spent where it will do some good.
When Chuck quoted that,there were no LS6 intakes and heads, just LS1. With the LS6 heads cleaned up and LS6 intake, he was installing headers, getting 500hp at the crank, the engine flowed better. With the LS1 setup he was getting 435hp at the crank.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:19 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 373 Likes on 320 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by Vette10R
Anybody else have opinions on headers being a waste of money with stock heads etc...

Another thought is what about if I go with a cam in the future, wouldnt I need the headers at that point?
They are worth it, just go stainless 1 3/4 unless you plan on a blower or a big build. ARH, Kooks, LG, and Stainless Works all make a proven LTs.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 PM
coverme
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will surely look good and sound amazing once installed. Its made by Magnaflow.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I have added the XS power headers as well,at the same time I installed a LS 6 intake, I already have installed the Vararam CAI , then I sent my PCM to East Coast Supercharging for a tune ($150) the power gains are substantial, the sound from the headers is awesome !!!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 05:02 PM
skip1980
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi guys, I have a 1999 coupe 6 speed. I purchased used a couple years back, I havent done much to it other than a new set of tires. It came with a magnaflo exhaust but stock headers and that is really all that I know about it. I believe it has the Magnapack system right now.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-776-mag...-corvette.aspx

I would like to keep that as I enjoy the sound of it but I want to add a nice set of headers that will match up. What would you all recommend I go with, im pretty new to all this but want my best bang for my buck. I may add a small cam in the future if that matters at all with my exhaust decision? Thanks
Sent pm
Old 05-30-2015, 09:21 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it, and I do understand that its a crap shoot if asking for which header gains the most power but that is not what I am looking for. I am looking for quality, reasonable price, and something that will mate up to my current set up. My reason for adding a header is I have a K&N intake with 80mm throttle body then stock headers which go to the Magna flo exhaust. i feel pinching off at the headers is just dumb for one and I would like to add a small cam in the future and it makes sense to me to have the intake and exhaust flowing correctly...
[QUOTE=Vette10R;1589709349]Anybody else have opinions on headers being a waste of money with stock heads etc...

Another thought is what about if I go with a cam in the future, wouldnt I need the headers at that point?[/QUOTE]

If you plan further mods down the road, headers are in your future if you want optimal results. Basics are that your mods should be balanced and each compliments the other. An example, if you put a terrific set of heads on and then do not adjust your intake, cam, and exhaust to take full advantage of the flow characteristics of those super new heads, well you are leaving HP/TQ on the table, if not actually loosing power. Same goes for all the other mods. You have already stated an understanding of that as well. The million dollar question is what the most optimal combination of mods is and whose particular brand will provide the best results? Beats the s..t out of me, but there will be a ton of opinions here on what and whose is. To go back to your original question, again the XS-Power headers I put on had no fitment issues and they are quality pieces (construction, welds, stainless steel, etc.) and they were very reasonably priced. In turn they supported all the other mods, heads, cam, intake as well. Others as have stated have their own experiences and opinions. Good luck in your build.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:39 PM
0Magna_Flow
Former Vendor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by coverme
This will surely look good and sound amazing once installed. Its made by Magnaflow.
We don't sell a system from headers to the tips, but we do sell short-tube headers for the C5 right now. They're ceramic-coated and come with all the hardware you'd need.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:43 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I have XSPower headers and they are a good system. The Texas Speed & Performance headers get good reviews here. There are also Dynatech and OBX headers but don't see much about either here.

Someone does have a recent thread for the OBX headers you might want to search for. The system looked much better than it did years ago.

This is from an OLD article written by Chuck Mallett... for what it's worth
Things have changed a bunch in the last 16 years... that being said unless your doing more upgrades... heads/cam etc... he may be making a good point.

The LS-1 needs headers. Not true. In stock motors, the exhaust headers actually flow better than the engine’s heads, and adding headers will not add power (and may cost power from reduced exhaust scavenging and velocity). Like the computer, our 372 cubic inch LS-1 motors use stock headers and H-pipes, and work very well with them, and there certainly isn’t 30 horsepower hidden in there. The catalytic converters remain the biggest restriction in the C5’s exhaust system, to the tune of about 12 horsepower on an otherwise stock motor. There are several other points which are important to remember emissions controls are a reality—to comply with tightening standards, the double-wall headers and H-pipe should stay on the car (this promotes quick catalyst light-off). Also, a little back pressure in the exhaust is a good thing—the catalytic converters and mufflers provide enough so that the LS-1 has a strong low-end pull. Without a little back pressure, the car would not have the low-rpm torque it currently enjoys. The good news the money you wanted to spend on headers can now be spent where it will do some good.

You can gain around 30 rwhp with headers and a tune and show gains across the whole rpm range. You just need to decide if the cost of the headers and tune is worth 30hp or not.

The claim about the engine needing backpressure to help with the low rpm torque is complete BS.

Quick Reply: Which Headers?