C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBX long tube headers install/review

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:22 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts

A few more quick notes. I did NOT remove the spark plugs, plenty of room there. I DID replace the front o2 sensors with the rears for the longer wires, since the forward most o2 bungs are now in the collectors, some 30 extra inches away from stock. I used a couple of drain plugs from a Honda car that I got from Napa for $8 to plug my rear o2 holes, and am currently just running fronts. After about 100 miles, i tripped a code, but the car is running just fine still, so I'm not too worried about it, after doing the research about it ahead of time. I said I was going to post the part number on those plugs, but I tossed the bag, and lost the URL to where I found it But I did find it here on this forum, soooo...happy searching It is perfectly possible to have a tuner, tune out your rear o2's, you don't need them, and you can pass emissions without them (important, since I'm running catless). You can also MAKE 02 simulators, a process I will outline later...when I actually do it.

Alright, I think that is all. If you have any questions go ahead and post them here, and I'll help the best I can

Now, off to make a Youtube account so I can post before, and after sound clips!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:51 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

well youtube is not as easy to set up as it's cracked up to be, so here is the link to my photobucket.

This is before headers, car has a flowmaster catback, that has had the muffler bypass mod done to it. http://s272.photobucket.com/user/eri...tml?sort=3&o=7

And THIS is after the headers
http://s272.photobucket.com/user/eri...tml?sort=3&o=0

enjoy!
Old 06-04-2015, 01:03 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Dyno numbers after my tune. This dyno is stingy, I baselined before any mods at 273whp on this dyno, and 290whp on a mustang dyno for reference. Car has the rams horn dual cone intake and flowmaster mufflers that have been bypassed, no cats, and it's an 01 A4
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2015, 02:39 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikwithAK01
Dyno numbers after my tune. This dyno is stingy, I baselined before any mods at 273whp on this dyno, and 290whp on a mustang dyno for reference. Car has the rams horn dual cone intake and flowmaster mufflers that have been bypassed, no cats, and it's an 01 A4
Nice gains
Old 06-04-2015, 03:13 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Thanks I think I'm leavin' some hp on the table with the cheapo intake, but I should get a bit of a bump out of the Honker I'm putting in today, then a ported throttle body, a coolant bypass, and a touch up tune before I make the leap into a TPiS modified ls6 intake with a 90mm throttle body. I want to hit 350whp via bolt ons before I put a stall in it.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:40 PM
mdchaser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write up. I'm about to buy these headers for my vette. It looks like you have the catless resonator kit? Does your set up sound raspy at all? I can't decide if I want the kit with the cats or with the resonators... I have the raspiness of my stock system minus the cats but I don't know if that raspiness will come over using the obx system.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:04 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

If im hard on the gas, but not quite enough to make it kick down a gear automatically, it will rasp out during the shift from 1-2 gear, other than that its just loud, but my mufflers have been bypassed as well. It is very quiet on the freeway.

Quick Reply: OBX long tube headers install/review