C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Block 383 Stroker

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:34 AM
jdm767
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Short Block 383 Stroker

I need to replace the block from my 2003 C5 Z (along with all of the rotating assembly).

Since I'm going to be replacing the lower end anyway, I've decided to replace it with a stroker 383. My shop wants to buy a crated one in order to save time and get things going (the season is already slipping past with me on the sidelines...). The engine was originally modified by Lingenfelter to a 480hp. It has a really nice set of heads which will be reused after machining them to return them to line new condition. The cam seems to have caused not one, not two, but three catastrophic engine failures (valve meets piston = bad things). That cam will NOT be returning to the engine!

If you would be so kind, I would like to hear about your experiences with the different providers of pre built short block strokers - both good (and maybe even more importantly), and bad.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff
Old 05-23-2015, 07:41 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

I have heard pretty good things about Thompson Motorsports and nothing negative so far.
I plan on using them when I need to replace my LS1.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:49 PM
S400z06
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What cam? If you dont mind me asking.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:52 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Scoggin Dickey out of Texas, no problems with motor, they had the best price of the three recommended to me for a long block, forged 383.
SDPC

Good luck
Old 05-24-2015, 05:18 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

When I bought my motor (forged LS3 based shortblock, 377 CID) it was down to LPE, Scoggin Dickey, or Texas-Speed. I went with Texas-Speed because research indicated they were built by the same company as Scoggin Dickey, but Texas-Speed didn't want a core charge for the new motor. That saved me $1K on the spot. Both were about $700 cheaper than LPE plus core which was only on the list really because they were local, but wait times really killed that.

Motor has held up FINE to some serious power.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

^^^^^^^^ same three recommended to me, but for a long block (I needed heads and cam anyway) SDPC was quite a bit cheaper, no core, took about 5 weeks.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:44 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jdm767
I need to replace the block from my 2003 C5 Z (along with all of the rotating assembly).

Since I'm going to be replacing the lower end anyway, I've decided to replace it with a stroker 383. My shop wants to buy a crated one in order to save time and get things going (the season is already slipping past with me on the sidelines...). The engine was originally modified by Lingenfelter to a 480hp. It has a really nice set of heads which will be reused after machining them to return them to line new condition. The cam seems to have caused not one, not two, but three catastrophic engine failures (valve meets piston = bad things). That cam will NOT be returning to the engine!

If you would be so kind, I would like to hear about your experiences with the different providers of pre built short block strokers - both good (and maybe even more importantly), and bad.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff
Am I the only one seeing this. There is a problem goin on buddy you need to have addressed. It is NOT normal for cam to keep trashing motors like that. "A" your install geometry is off, "B" ****** cam core, "C" someone cant tune worth a ****. What oil was used??? Im inclined to believe the latter. Either way IMO, I wouldn't be using the same shop again. What heads?? You leave a lot to the imagination as far parts used. I have a motor from Texas Speed and so far so good. Only has around 1500mi though.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

I could have reused my heads, but when I price shopped long blocks and factored in getting heads done, cam, labor.....done right, it was a no brainier. Ask how much for labor and parts and then add that to the short block price.... then price a long block from sdpc, my forged 383, with ported heads was not much more, when I factored all that in.

Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Short Block 383 Stroker

Quick Reply: Short Block 383 Stroker