C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Front, Pass side tire wear with good alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 06:53 PM
Mrjre42
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Front, Pass side tire wear with good alignment

Alright, so I'm stumped. I spent most of the winter doing some work on my 2004 z06. I have stock z06 rims, suspension, ride height, everything. I bought it approx 2.5 years ago with the P.O. admitting he was backed into but as I've worked on it, I think it was a more significant impact.

I replaced the steering rack (leaking at the magneto wire) and new motor mounts. I was going to replace the bushings but after I got the new bushings in, I went to reassemble everything and I noticed that the driver's side lower control arm was bent and the upper passenger's side control arm was bent. I assumed I had bent them when I was removing the old rubber bushings. I went ahead and bought used pairs for both sides. So the car has all new to me used control arms on the front. I got everything aligned and everything seemed fine until I was checking a popping/clunk noise coming from the front end at low speed turns. I was checking all the bolts and noticed a rub mark on the passenger lower control arm. I remounted the wheel and checked and with the car in the air, it rubs on the upper control arm. I also have really bad camber wear on just that tire. I had an alignment done (approx -1.3 degrees camber with 0 toe and approx 8 degrees castor) immediately after the steering rack repair and then drove approx 800 miles and then noticed the alignment had slipped on the drivers side and had the dealer redo the alignment. I have 1 mile on a new alignment approx -1.8 degrees camber with 0 toe and approx 8 degrees castor.

I don't know what would cause this. Could it be frame damage? Could something with the new rack cause this? As far as I can tell, the new control arms are good but is there a way to check them without buying more?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:31 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Well the -1.30* camber will do that. Were these new tires after you did all that work? Or were they the ones on it when you bought it?

Signed -the alignment guy
Old 05-23-2015, 10:21 PM
Mrjre42
Advanced

Well, I had -2 degrees up front for 14k miles on these same tires before I replaced the steering rack and didn't have this kind of wear. I should also say I track the car and even with -2 degrees, they wore evenly. This is unique to just the front passenger wheel and is new.

Originally Posted by mrr23
Well the -1.30* camber will do that. Were these new tires after you did all that work? Or were they the ones on it when you bought it?

Old 05-23-2015, 11:47 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by mrr23

I'm thinking he has a reason for asking the question you didn't answer..
just sayin
Old 05-24-2015, 01:11 AM
Mrjre42
Advanced

Originally Posted by 73Corvette

I'm thinking he has a reason for asking the question you didn't answer..
just sayin
If you're referring to the question about tires, I said it's the same tires I've had on there. Plus, I'd expect the wear to be the same on both sides if it was camber wear but it's significantly worse on just that tire.

Either way, I'm more focused on trying to figure out why the rim is rubbing on the control arms with a good alignment.

Last edited by Mrjre42; 05-24-2015 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:17 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrjre42
If you're referring to the question about tires, I said it's the same tires I've had on there. Plus, I'd expect the wear to be the same on both sides if it was camber wear but it's significantly worse on just that tire.

Either way, I'm more focused on trying to figure out why the rim is rubbing on the control arms with a good alignment.
If you go to full lock one way, the rim rubs on the control arm, correct? So, how much clearance is there at the corresponding spot on the other side at full lock the other way? If there is clearance, first step is to check for a mis-match in steering tie rod lengths side to side, or a mis-positioned rack. Both would allow too much lock in one direction.

Otherwise, it's time to check suspension mounting point positioning side to side to see if you have frame damage. Given that the control arms were bent, frame damage is sadly likely.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:55 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrjre42

oops my bad... sorry. Good luck Mrr23 can surely help you get this figured out... it's what he does.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:45 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I don't understand your post.

800 miles with a slipped front alignment and 1 mile after fixing the slipped front alignment and you're asking why a front tire is wearing funny?

Can you at least post the alignment printout? People say they have a good alignment all the time but the data shows otherwise.

I would check the rack and the steering arms/spindles for something off in the steering components.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:30 PM
Mrjre42
Advanced

Originally Posted by jackthelad

If you go to full lock one way, the rim rubs on the control arm, correct? So, how much clearance is there at the corresponding spot on the other side at full lock the other way? If there is clearance, first step is to check for a mis-match in steering tie rod lengths side to side, or a mis-positioned rack. Both would allow too much lock in one direction.

Otherwise, it's time to check suspension mounting point positioning side to side to see if you have frame damage. Given that the control arms were bent, frame damage is sadly likely.
I'll check that out. Thanks.

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I don't understand your post.

800 miles with a slipped front alignment and 1 mile after fixing the slipped front alignment and you're asking why a front tire is wearing funny?

Can you at least post the alignment printout? People say they have a good alignment all the time but the data shows otherwise.

I would check the rack and the steering arms/spindles for something off in the steering components.
I don't have the alignment prinout handy but the slipped alignment was -1 degree instead of the -1.8 it started. So I doubt that's the cause.

This car gets tracked which is why it's an aggressive alignment so I understand there is going to be more camber wear on the street but what I'm seeing is extremely excessive considering it's just one wheel.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:25 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Post a picture of the tire in question. Never saw a slipped eccentric give a more positive camber.

Also the rim should touch the upper control arm. After all you lifted the car and the suspension is at full travel. As far as the lower goes, something is allowing further turning travel than normal.

Last edited by mrr23; 05-24-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Odd Front, Pass side tire wear with good alignment

Quick Reply: Odd Front, Pass side tire wear with good alignment