C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil disappearing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:18 PM
Kagnus
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Oil disappearing?

65k 2000 MT

I have always put good oil in this car. I went from using the 15k stuff from mobil to royal purple and am now using the 25k stuff from amsoil and their 15k filter. Always changed the oil at 5k. The problem I was having with the royal purple was that the car seemed to be eating the oil rather rapidly. Maybe a quart every 2-3 months and I kept having to add. I found that on the last oil change the filter was loose and had been leaking. So I figured that was the issue, however I never had any oil spots on my drive way, EVER. I thought that was a little weird...

So now I made sure to tighten the oil filter really well with my filter puller so that would not happen again. So far I haven't seen any oil on the filter so I think that problem is rectified. I accidently filled the car with 6.5 quarts instead of 5.5. I don't think this would be a big deal.

Yesterday I got a low oil message on my dash. It was like a quart low. My exhaust does not smoke in the slightest, and the scent smells normal. So where is the freaking oil going?!

I only had a few minor problems with the car, mostly because my voltage drops every once in awhile and the car will give me a bunch of messages, but this goes away when I recondition and charge my battery. Oh and the oil pressure sensor needs to get replaced, it reads like 120 psi which is max, but I have read this is a common failure point and not a big deal. I should probable change it eventually.

Thank you for reading.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:36 PM
rodsvet
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If it's a 2000, it's supposed to have 6.5 quarts. And I wouldn't be using a wrench to tighten the filter. You better get back under the car and see where the oil is going. You might pop the duct off the throttle body and see if there is oil being sucked into the intake. Good luck,,Rod

Last edited by rodsvet; 05-23-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:46 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I decided to try Royal Purple instead of Mobil 1 on a change a while back. At 3500 miles my warning came on. Car had eaten enough of the RP to trigger the warning. Went back to Mobil 1 and it doesn't burn or lose a drop. I have no idea what was going on but I won't be finding out either.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:34 AM
Kagnus
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
that 6.5 quarts is the proper fill amount from the owners manual. I also use the filter removal wrench to snug up my filter as my hands no longer have the strength they used to have. I would be very careful not to over tighten the filter as you may have big problems getting it off when it is time.

I also concur with inspecting the intake. The C5 will often suck oil from the engine through the PCV system into the intake and allow it to be burned with the gas without significant smoke. Usually this happens when the engine RPM's are high. Do you often run up the RPM's??

Check the back of the engine to see if the OPS is leaking. This also is known to happen after the sensor fails. Could be a combination of things causing the oil to "disappear".

I don't often rev up the engine. Actually rarely do I ever even push it into it's power band. I might as well replace the oil pressure sensor and check the intake in the process.

8vette7 nice to see you are still around, you have always been a wealth of knowledge.

Thank you's to everyone that gave a reply, I appreciate your time and will post my findings.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:16 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I mentioned the same thing to my mechanic a couple of weeks ago about what I thought was a bit excessive oil use and he said a lot of people have been saying the same thing lately. He works as a GM mechanic in a dealership.
I thought I had a problem until I realized it was also happening to others. The reason I had mentioned it was that mine had used a quart of oil a lot faster that I thought it should only to find out it has happening to a lot of cars, Tommy thought it may have been something with the gas ...
Old 05-24-2015, 08:31 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Take a look at Post 23 on the Thread. It may explain why RP uses more oil and when you stop using it and go with Mobil (or similar) the issue is reversed.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1589645266

Get notified of new replies

To Oil disappearing?

Quick Reply: Oil disappearing?