C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 A/C System Repair Question

Old 05-26-2015, 09:37 PM
jcf3202
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 99 A/C System Repair Question

My wifes 99 coupe (32K miles) would hold an a/c charge for 2 weeks before showing symptoms of low freon. Shop had UV dye in the last charge. A/C compressor is leaking at the middle seam.
Bought a new AC Delco compressor, orifice tube and accumulator. When I removed the orifice tube, it was pretty clean (in my opinion), no sludge, easy to see thru, HOWEVER it did have about 8-10 small metal shavings on the screen.

My questions are:
Are a couple of metal shavings normal?

Do these shavings warrant replacing the condenser? (it seems flushing the condenser is not always reliable)

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2015, 10:03 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Shavings or bits of metal are normal, to the extent that the compressor failed certainly, and are present in either greater or lesser amounts, depending on how long the compressor has been in the process of failing.

A (good) AC system flush is mandatory, if for no other reason than to preserve your warranty, and the presence of metal particles does not require the replacement of either the condenser or evaporator.

I would personally recommend you also include a can of ICE 32 when you fill/charge the new system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 A/C System Repair Question