C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please: bolt size for PFADT transmission mount?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:04 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Default Help please: bolt size for PFADT transmission mount?

I bought a used Pfadt transmission mount, but it didn't come 'complete'. It arrived with the pads and swivel bracket attached.

There was no other hardware included. The entire assembly looks like this:

Several OEM photos show that there should be 4 shims and a couple (blue) 8mm Allen head bolts, like this:

I'm pretty sure I can find the (blue) 8mm Allen bolts and the shims (or something suitable) at Lowe's. But I don't know what size Allen bolts to buy. Can some please tell me their length and pitch?

Thanks very much!
Old 05-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

On my pfadt diff mount, it had 12 pt arp bolts for those fasteners. I don't know the thread but they screw into the diff so you could just take the factory mount bolts into ace and match it up with something. You could calculate the length from this picture.

Those bolts are sort of a pain to get in a normal bolt will make it much easier then allen head as long as your sockets fit down into the mount, as my sockets are much shorter then my allen sockets and the verticle room available is pretty tight there even if you start jacking up the trans/diff to make space there isn't tons of room for sockets and a torque wrench.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pfad...%3B1824%3B1368

Oh yeah those are 1mm shims but they are honestly sort of arbitrarily inserted. If you use more it will be tighter less it will be a little looser. I had like 9 i think and used 4, 2 per side. My buddy used 6, 3 per side.You could just buy 2 or 3 mm worth of washers and put them in ahead of time imo, would be fine.

Last edited by Socko; 05-28-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:39 PM
dork
Drifting

Thanks! All that info will really help.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:48 PM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't shim it tight, vibration & complaining may come from doing that. If I remember mine there are zero shims & the tire shake is non existent
Old 05-28-2015, 11:39 PM
dork
Drifting

Thank you!
Old 05-28-2015, 11:46 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CTD
Don't shim it tight, vibration & complaining may come from doing that. If I remember mine there are zero shims & the tire shake is non existent
Yeah my buddy and I came to the same conclusion. I did need 1 shim on 1 side to just close the gap. I figured i didn't want the rear end twisting much so added one on the other side. I then added a second on each side and it all still felt the same so i left it.

So i guess i agree overshimming it plants the rear end more firmly at the cost of nvh, undershimming it reduces nvh to a degree at the cost of rear end twist.

You need to consider which way you want to go with it for sure and what you can put up with.

Get notified of new replies

To Help please: bolt size for PFADT transmission mount?

Quick Reply: Help please: bolt size for PFADT transmission mount?