C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help - Where is Wiring for Fog Light/ Rear Hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 06:46 AM
rahaul
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need Help - Where is Wiring for Fog Light/ Rear Hatch?

In the re-assembly process of my '02 I am not finding the 8 prong plug end that goes to the fog light/ rear hatch switch. Please don't tell me I have to take the dash back out to find it.

Thanks in advance,

Vic
Old 05-29-2015, 08:48 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Probably need to remove the knee bolster to find it.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:26 AM
rahaul
Pro

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Probably need to remove the knee bolster to find it.
Totally unfamiliar with part terminology but if that is the panel that houses the switch - haven't put it back on yet. I would have thought that the wire I'm looking for would have been right there but it is not.

Tornado ripped some of the wiring from this car but mostly door panel wiring. Dash area was cosmetic damage but everything in place.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:44 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Yes the Knee Bolster holds the switch. You are correct it has 8 cavities but only 7 wires.

Orange
Orange/Back
Yellow
Purple
Black
Brown
White

It should be there.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:39 PM
rahaul
Pro

Yes the Knee Bolster holds the switch. You are correct it has 8 cavities but only 7 wires.

Orange
Orange/Back
Yellow
Purple
Black
Brown
White

It should be there.
Even pulled the panel between the knee bolster and firewall. Still nothing.

Is it possible for there to be a jumper wire from another source? I noticed an open terminal housing mounted to the bottom of the steering column and at the back edge of the knee bolster. There may have been 7 prongs.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2015, 07:48 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

It should be in plain view to the left of the column. I can take a look at my car and see if I can see where the harness comes from under the dash. I have my Knee Bolster off at the moment. Just need to go over to my warehouse where the car is at.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:53 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

OK, I went over to look at my car. With the Knee Bolster off the harness comes out of the dash just above a black brace to the left of the steering column near the A-Pillar just above where the switch is located. The harness is long enough to nearly reach the floor. The harness goes forward toward the firewall about 6-8 inches and then goes right toward the column.

Hope this helps some. It has to be there somewhere. Do you remember disconnecting it at the switch when you removed the Knee Bolster? It should be just hanging over that black brace and within 4 inches of the floor. Even in a Z06 that does not have Fog lights all the wiring is still there going to the switch.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:20 PM
rahaul
Pro

OK, I went over to look at my car. With the Knee Bolster off the harness comes out of the dash just above a black brace to the left of the steering column near the A-Pillar just above where the switch is located. The harness is long enough to nearly reach the floor. The harness goes forward toward the firewall about 6-8 inches and then goes right toward the column.

Hope this helps some. It has to be there somewhere. Do you remember disconnecting it at the switch when you removed the Knee Bolster? It should be just hanging over that black brace and within 4 inches of the floor. Even in a Z06 that does not have Fog lights all the wiring is still there going to the switch.
I had all but given up finding this wire and put the knee bolster back on only to feel bad that you went to this much trouble describing where it should be so I took it back off yesterday. After looking and looking for the 7 color wire that you described until my back hurt from being arched the wrong direction, I STILL CAN'T FIND IT?

I left the knee bolster off just in case it decides to fall down while I'm driving but I'm not holding my breath!

Sincerely appreciate all the help though.

Vic in Arkansas
Old 06-04-2015, 09:29 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Don't worry about me, I was glad to do it. You might want to have a small kid with a flashlight look around. I am not kidding, you could tell him if he finds it he gets a ride. Of course you give him a ride either way.

I will try and trace down where the harness goes under the dash when I bring my car back to the house shortly in a week or two.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help - Where is Wiring for Fog Light/ Rear Hatch?

Quick Reply: Need Help - Where is Wiring for Fog Light/ Rear Hatch?