C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for an explanation..

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 10:46 AM
steelfox
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for an explanation..

Hello all. Im in the process of building a 402 stroker and am having some trouble deciding on a cam. I was originally going to go with brian tooley custom cam after i heard so many great reviews with him. But... I used to own a ls2 gto and I put the vengeance racing vrx5 cam in that with some milled tfs 225 heads. and just because I was curious looked up 402 builds with the vrx5 and lo and behold I am finding excellent power numbers on an off the shelf cam. Regardless of whether they are just numbers or not id like to make in the 520 to 530 range now and keep it reasonably drive-able and reliable. Please dont misunderstand this post as thinking the VR cam is better than any custom cam brian tooley can make I just wanted to have a conversation with someone that has more experience than I do in the area.

My ls2 will be a 402 stroker it has stage 3 ported dart pro 1 heads(not milled) I also have a fast intake on the car, I believe its a 92mm I bought the car with it on it. Thanks in advance yall!
Old 05-29-2015, 12:09 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Two things I'd like to say... Tony Mamo
Old 05-29-2015, 02:33 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

X2 You will most likely get his CAM and heads!!!!!!

BC
Old 05-29-2015, 02:44 PM
steelfox
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate the recommendation guys! And I will definitely look into his stuff! I m just looking for some info on the camshaft basics for now. I like to think I have some knowledge about engine but am definitely not a professional. I'm trying to learn camshaft theory and how it all works and boy what a rabbit hole it is! It's pretty tough choosing a cam guy when you hear so many great things about each one! I used to own a gto before I bought the vette and all I ever heard over there is ed curtis of flowtech. Then I join the corvette world and now there is guys like Tony Mamo, Brian Tooley, Pat G, Ed c, and I'm sure many more experts!! I've talked with my tuner, Jeremy Formato of fasterproms, and he has already given me his recommendation for who I should go with. I respect his decision quite a bit since he is such a great guy to deal with but I like researching and I want to find the absolute best because I only want to do this once lol.

Please keep the recommendations and thoughts coming! I love hearing what others have experienced! I'd like to talk to those guys stated above but they are all so busy that they dont have the time to answer all my nitpicky questions lol.
And truly thank you all I appreciate the feedback!
Old 05-30-2015, 10:06 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm sorry if I missed something but what are the goals with the car and wouldn't that determine where you want to go with a cam?

I have a pretty big cam in my 346 motor that I had the mechanic (Tommy) design with the TF 215 heads, he worked with the cam and head folks for me... there was way to much to digest for me. I just wanted to compete in the 10.50 index when I asked him to build me a stock bottom motor

pretty soon ... I will try to go fast with it (in the Fall)

Last edited by Rob Petyo; 05-30-2015 at 10:09 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To looking for an explanation..

Quick Reply: looking for an explanation..