C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Swap Cold Air Intake

Old 05-30-2015, 04:50 PM
elmerfud
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 Swap Cold Air Intake

I recently finished doing an LS3 swap in to my 1999 C5. When I had the car tuned he told me that the intake is restrictive for the LS3. I'm looking for some suggestions on a cold air intake that will work in this setup.

The car currently has a aftermarket intake, although I'm not sure what brand it is, I can find nothing like it online. It's using the stock 75mm MAF. I can get all to hook up but because of the throttle body differences the air bridge doesn't attach correctly.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this type of swap and if they have suggestions on what pieces work together. I'd like to step up to a larger MAF, either an 85mm or a housing with a card style like the LS3's. I'm really open to any idea that will work.... and let the hood close properly.

I've seen pictures of people's setups for an LS3 in a C5. They all look like a cross between pieces from C5 & C6 intakes.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:04 AM
ezrider4u2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Before I went to an SC set up this year, I had the Vararam VRB2 with their Powerduct. I had used this before in another Corvette and really liked the throttle response and power gains. With this LS3 combo it worked pretty well even though it is really meant to be used on LS1/6. I had great throttle response and no issues with restrictions. I was using the stock MAF as well and had no issues just have to keep an eye on the location. As for the fitment-you really have to play with the fitment and try different angles and coupler combinations for the powerduct until you get it right. In my case I also had an after market hood so I did not have to worry about rubbing the liner.

Last edited by ezrider4u2; 05-31-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:06 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html

Comes with the LS3 card style maf too.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:00 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I just had a 418LS3 swap done and I got RID of the Vararam as it was the cause for the swap to begin with. Hydro lock. I went with a Halltech VenomII. During the tuning session, my tuner said ZERO restriction through the intake.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:37 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 462 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZ06
I just had a 418LS3 swap done and I got RID of the Vararam as it was the cause for the swap to begin with. Hydro lock. I went with a Halltech VenomII. During the tuning session, my tuner said ZERO restriction through the intake.
Just asking for clarification... the cause of the Hydro Lock was the Vararam or bad judgement by the driver?
Old 05-31-2015, 05:56 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Just asking for clarification... the cause of the Hydro Lock was the Vararam or bad judgement by the driver?
Both. It happened going into a turn. Once I straightened the car out, I was already in the water I did not see and it was MUCH deeper than I realized. I was too busy looking at how deep the other side of the road was.
I was turning into where I was standing when I took this picture. So coming across the intersection. I was 6-7 cars back in that left lane and simply couldn't/didn't see the side I was about to enter and was looking at what you see on the right. That portion of our base gate/exit floods easy, but in the 3+years ive been here, ive never seen the right side(entering base) flood. By the time I thought I should stop and go in reverse, there was so much and too much traffic to stop. I was already halfway through going slow, so I continued.....then POW. I immediately knew what happened. I couldn't help myself and made it worse when I tried to start it again. that was the worst grinding sound ive ever heard. 12 months later, shes on the road again with a new motor, and more bad*** than ever. Sorry OP got a little carried away
Old 06-01-2015, 06:37 PM
elmerfud
5th Gear

Thanks for the the suggestions. It gives me some ideas on how to go on this.

Originally Posted by ezrider4u2
It looks like in your pics you have the passenger side valve cover vent hooked up to the power duck and drawing it's air before the MAF. It's was always my understanding that it should be drawing in MAF metered air. Am I incorrect in that and how does that work out for getting a good tune?
Old 06-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by elmerfud
Thanks for the the suggestions. It gives me some ideas on how to go on this.

It looks like in your pics you have the passenger side valve cover vent hooked up to the power duck and drawing it's air before the MAF. It's was always my understanding that it should be drawing in MAF metered air. Am I incorrect in that and how does that work out for getting a good tune?
The PCV system should be plumbed between the air filter and the MAF. It needs the vacuum you'll get from the air filter and the engine needs to see any air brought into the engine (via the PCV) being metered.

I think you're confused, though. Air doesn't go in the PCV and into the valve cover, the air comes out of the valve cover and into the intake.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:25 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

When i did my ls3 swap I went with a ls7 c6z intake. Put a kn filter on it. It was pretty big and going with a card style maf is much less restrictive.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:58 AM
elmerfud
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Trios
The PCV system should be plumbed between the air filter and the MAF. It needs the vacuum you'll get from the air filter and the engine needs to see any air brought into the engine (via the PCV) being metered.

I think you're confused, though. Air doesn't go in the PCV and into the valve cover, the air comes out of the valve cover and into the intake.
Perhaps I am confused, but the PCV system on the LS3 is through a metered orifice on the valley cover which connects directly to the intake manifold directly behind the throttle body (unless you have a catch can in the middle of that). It's this connection that supplies the vacuum to pull out the crank case gasses.
Because this constant vacuum is applied through that connection the engine need fresh air for "make up". The make up air is supplied through the valve cover vents. Since that air is drawn through the valve covers in to the intake, it needs to be supplied from filtered air drawn from between the MAF and throttle body so it's measured as combustible air.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Trios
Drifting

Originally Posted by elmerfud
Perhaps I am confused, but the PCV system on the LS3 is through a metered orifice on the valley cover which connects directly to the intake manifold directly behind the throttle body (unless you have a catch can in the middle of that). It's this connection that supplies the vacuum to pull out the crank case gasses.
Because this constant vacuum is applied through that connection the engine need fresh air for "make up". The make up air is supplied through the valve cover vents. Since that air is drawn through the valve covers in to the intake, it needs to be supplied from filtered air drawn from between the MAF and throttle body so it's measured as combustible air.
If you draw the air out of the valve cover into a space between the MAF and throttle body, how does the MAF see it? At least on the LS1 system, the MAF is before the throttle body in the intake configuration. You need to draw the air into the intake between the MAF and the air filter, not the throttle body.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:47 PM
elmerfud
5th Gear

If you draw the air out of the valve cover into a space between the MAF and throttle body, how does the MAF see it? At least on the LS1 system, the MAF is before the throttle body in the intake configuration. You need to draw the air into the intake between the MAF and the air filter, not the throttle body.
Air is not pushed out of the valve cover it's clean air being drawn in, through the vacuum that's applied from the valley cover connection.

Here's a diagram of the LSx PCV system with the direction of flow. There are some variations on actual connection points depending on engine but the flow direction of air is the same. The valve cover is clean incoming air drawn in to the crank case, thus it needs to be metered by the MAF.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:06 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You've got the PVC system operation completely backwards. Air should be drawn into the engine from between the MAF and before the the throttle body blade where the intake has no vacuum so it gets metered by the MAF sensor as it enters the engine. Then, the air is drawn back out through the PVC valve (or valley orifice) into the intake after the throttle body blade where there is a vacuum to suck it out.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Trios
Drifting

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
You've got the PVC system operation completely backwards. Air should be drawn into the engine from between the MAF and before the the throttle body blade where the intake has no vacuum so it gets metered by the MAF sensor as it enters the engine. Then, the air is drawn back out through the PVC valve (or valley orifice) into the intake after the throttle body blade where there is a vacuum to suck it out.
Yeah, I figured myself out, especially with Mr. Fudd's help. I was thinking of the CDR system on my diesel for some reason, which works oppositely of the LS1 design.

This system is considerably more complicated for achieving the same effect, though.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:10 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Bump. Gearing up to do an LS3/L92 swap in my 2000 C5 and need advice on an intake that won't be a restriction for the cam/bolt on 6.2, but also won't be a nightmare to tune.

Will the stock 2000 MAF and ducting restrict the engine that badly? Currently I have a dual cone intake in front of the stock MAF but can also use a Zip Tie modded stock duct if need be.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:08 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
the PVC system .... the PVC valve
> backwards!

PVC is plastic pipe for plumbing, sprinklers, etc.
PCV is Positive Crankcase Ventilation.
Were you typing with my fingers?
Old 03-05-2018, 02:03 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Gonna go with the stock LS1 airbridge and an 85mm Z06 MAF for my LS3 swap. I have a DCI or a zip tie mod panel I can use in front of it.

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 Swap Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS3 Swap Cold Air Intake