C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rusty rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 11:12 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Rusty rotors

All four of my rotors are rusting pretty bad near the center. Any suggestions on cleaning them? I thought about getting new ones but these are still in pretty good shape other than the rust.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:46 AM
ZED0HSIX
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When this starts to happen on any of my cars I always just take the rotors off, mask off the rotor and paint it with Rustoleum BBQ pit paint. Its a matt black finish and seems to keep rust off.

As far as prep goes I just hit it with a wire wheel to knock the rust off. It will take ya a couple hours, but you wont have to deal with it again. At least I havnt on any of my cars.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:59 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ZED0HSIX
When this starts to happen on any of my cars I always just take the rotors off, mask off the rotor and paint it with Rustoleum BBQ pit paint. Its a matt black finish and seems to keep rust off.

As far as prep goes I just hit it with a wire wheel to knock the rust off. It will take ya a couple hours, but you wont have to deal with it again. At least I havnt on any of my cars.

I spray them with brake cleaner after I wire brush them. Rustoleum BBQ paint from Walmart is the least expensive way to go, but other colored Hi temp paint also work
Old 06-07-2015, 08:51 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

They make a chrome cover for them but they are pricey, I did like others suggested painted mine mat black
Old 06-07-2015, 10:35 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

I have black wheels so i prob wouldnt go with a black paint but ill check it out and see what other colors are available
Old 06-08-2015, 05:55 PM
bad455ta
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine did the same thing. I just pulled them off, used some brake pats cleaner to get the dirty and any grease off (didnt bother scraping the rust off) and then hit it with some high temp paint. Dont worry about masking off the rotor (its a pain and unnecessary) just put them back on, spray them with your parts cleaner and use your brake pads to get the paint off the rotors. Its just the same as if you tried to sand it off. Saves you tons of time and hard work. Just drive it back and forth in your driveway and spray them a couple of times and it will do the trick.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:25 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

this and some soap & water to get the crap off after cleaning

could use brake clean if you wanted to but there's little difference in turn out vs soap & water

i actually do this whenever i buy new rotors, very easy to paint then

Get notified of new replies

To Rusty rotors

Quick Reply: Rusty rotors