C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear spindle nut

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:58 AM
SoAlVette
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Rear spindle nut

Going to replace my right rear bearing assembly. I was told to replace the spindle nut when doing so. Is this necessary? If so, where do you get them? I tried Ecklers and Summit, they don't have them.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:28 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I have heard people say they need to be replaced but the FSM is not specific on that.

They are to be torqued to 118 ft-lbs,

The FSM refers you to the Fastener section which could indicate they are a Prevailing Torque fastener and might need to be replaced if they do not meet their criteria.

Here is a link to that information on fasteners.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr75mcxm2a...ation.pdf?dl=0

You can get them from your dealer or Cultrag.com a vendor here on the Forum.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:34 AM
SoAlVette
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I have heard people say they need to be replaced but the FSM is not specific on that.

They are to be torqued to 118 ft-lbs,

The FSM refers you to the Fastener section which could indicate they are a Prevailing Torque fastener and might need to be replaced if they do not meet their criteria.

Here is a link to that information on fasteners.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr75mcxm2a...ation.pdf?dl=0

You can get them from your dealer or Cultrag.com a vendor here on the Forum.
Thanks dadaroo.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:23 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Just remembered someone on the Forum said they got one at Autozone for $5. If you look to get one match it up to what you have so you don't just get the same size but the correct nut. After all, it is a rather important item. Especially if it is a prevailing torque nut.

If the original nut was prevailing torque it should not thread all the way up by hand but have a good resistance even if it was used before. Even threading the nut to full engagement by hand should be impossible. Same with the replacement but worse to get past the first few threads. Prevailing torque nuts are designed to allow easy threading to start with so you know it is going on correctly. It is the last threads that are "deformed" to require expanding and to work like a locknut.

Hope that helps.

Mr. Sam
Old 06-09-2015, 03:48 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I was the one that posted that. I replaced mine when I installed my LG spindles because i could spin it on by hand. The new ones definitely had resistance. They looked identical aside from the original being cadmium colored and the new one was silver.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear spindle nut

Quick Reply: Rear spindle nut