C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The electrical issues of my 1998 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:56 PM
Munckhof
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The electrical issues of my 1998 convertible

Two weeks ago I purchased a carmine metallic 1998 convertible. It has already given me a lot of joy and on some aspects it reminds me of the 1986 Corvette I owned until a few years ago. Only time I got emotional selling a car (we were expecting a baby, needed only one car so it had to go...)

The purpose of this thread is describing the problems I have, hoping to receive useful advice on tackling those problems, thus fixing them and possibly helping others who have encountered the same problems.

It will simply be a step-by-step overview of the things I did, the codes I received, the advice I followed up and the results. As always, I use paragraph numbers for easy reference. Where applicable I will use pictures.

So let's do it

1. Electrical issues:
The electrical issues my Corvette has (this will be updated! Text in grey regards issues that have been solved):

A. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT
'Check engine' light is sometimes on (doesn't happen often).

B. MEMORY
Memory doesn't work consistently. Sometimes the seat moves into another position than the preset one.

C. ENGLISH/METRIC
Living in the Netherlands, I need to use the metric system. Choosing that by pushing the E/M button, then locking the car and getting back in after, say, two minutes, is enough for the car to have gone back to English units. Getting back in after, for example, 30 seconds and turning the key, metric is still there! However, having the doors open and the courtesy lights on, it will stay on metric even if the key hasn't been in the lock for 7 minutes. Haven't tried for more than 7 minutes. But it's very clear there's a difference between having the doors open and the inside lights on on the one hand, and locking the car on the other.

D. A problem much alike C., the FOB will only work for one or two minutes, max. Sometimes not even a minute. And sometimes only the lock/unlock buttons will function. Active / passive works. After, for example, two minutes of enjoying a fully functioning FOB, all of a sudden it stops working. Learning the FOB again (such taking about a minute) will make it work again, but once more for only a short time.

E. Tire pressure warning is sometimes given. Maybe this has something to do with the absence of run-flat tires. Edit: this warning has somehow stopped popping up after a week or so.

F. 'Service vehicle soon' is often read.

G. Power (sports) passenger seat does not work.

H. Sometimes the daytime running lights don't work.

I. Hood light doesn't work.

J. Passenger side 'make-up mirror' lights don't work.

K. 'ABS' warning light blinked once, this happened only one time (a week ago). Edit 21st of June 2015: after cleaning ground G402 the warning light would stay on. This was eventually solved, see this short thread.

2. Factory codes
For the sake of completeness, this is a list of options / factory codes (bold: those mentioned in the black book):

AAB Memory, Driver Convenience Package
AG2 Power Passenger Seat

AK5 Inflatable Restraint System, Driver and Passenger
AQ9 Reclining Bucket Seat, Driver and Passenger (=sport seats)
BGR Bowling Green
B34 Floor mats
CJ2 Dual Zone Airco

C05 Roof, convertible folding
DL5 Decal Roadside Service Information
DL8 Mirrors, Outside, LH/RH Remote Control Electric, Heated
FE1 Suspension System, soft ride
FE9 Certification, Emission, Federal
G90 Axle, Rear, 3.15 Ratio
G92 Performance Axle (3.15 ratio)
IL3 Trim-Interior Design
JL9 Brake System, Power, Front & Rear Disc, Antilock, 4-Wheel
K63 Generator, 110 amp.
LS1 Engine, Gas, 8-Cylinder, 5.7L, SFI, Aluminium
MX0 Merchandised Transmission, Automatic O/D Provisions
M30 Transmission, Automatic 4-Speed, 4L60-E, Electronic
NF2 Emission System, Federal, Tier 1
NK4 Steering Wheel, Sport Leather
QD4 Wheel 17x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear, aluminium, styled
R8T CONTROL, SALES ITEM NO. 69 PROCESSING OPTION
T96 Fog Lamps
UL0 Radio, AM/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto Reverse Music Search Cassette, Auto Tone, Clock, Electronically Tuned Receiver (ETR)
UZ6 Speaker System 6, Quod Front Door Mounted, Dual Quarter Mounted
41S El. 12 disk changer
U52 Instrument Cluster, Electronic
U75 Antenna Power, Radio
VM3 Label Information, consumer contains BPR IMP Standard
V49 Front License Plate Frame
V73 Vehicle Statement, US/Canada
XGG Tire, Front, P245/45R17-89Y, BW TL SBR HW4, EMT
YGH Tire, Rear, P275/40R18-94Y, BW TL HW4 SBR, EMT
1AY STOCK ORDERS PROCESSING OPTION (DEALER ORDERED CAR)

1SB Option package 02
53U Light Carmine Red
67I INTERIOR TRIM, LT CAMEL (91)
67T TOP COLOR, LT CAMEL MET (91)
673 TRIM COMBINATION, LEATHER, LT CAMEL (3) (91)

BC/CC 4307D 673 67T

3. DIC's present upon buying the car
When I purchased the car, it had the following DIC's:

10-PCM (powertrain control module)
P1518 H PCM to TAC Module Serial Data Circuit

28-TCS (traction control system)
C1255 H EBTCM Internal Malfunction
C1281 H Steering Sensor Uncorrelated Malfunction

40-BCM (body control module)
B2482 H Backup Lamp Relay Circuit

99-HVAC (heater, ventilation, airconditioning)
B0367 H Right actuator feedback open

A0-LDCM (left door control module)
B2252 H Key Cylinder Switch Fault
B2282 H Battery #1 Fault
B2284 H Battery #2 Fault
B2264 H Vertical Position Sensor Fault
U1255 H Serial Data Line Malfunction
U1064 H Loss of Communications with BCM
U1016 H Loss of Communication with PCM
U1096 H Loss of Communications with IPC

A1-RDCM (right door control module)
B2283 H Battery #1 Fault
B2285 H Battery #2 Fault
B2263 H Horizontal Position Sensor Fit
U1016 H Loss of Communication with PCM
U1096 H Loss of Communications with IPC

A6-SCM (seat control module)
B0851 H Battery 1 Out of Range
B0856 H Battery 2 Out of Range
U1064 H Loss of Communication with BCM
U1016 H (code wordt 2x gegeven) Loss of Communication with PCM [/color]

4. Updated DIC
After removing all of the above DIC's I went for a short testdrive (5 minutes). The result was only one code:

28-TCS (traction control system) -> C1281 H Steering Sensor Uncorrelated Malfunction

Pushing the two memory-buttons and getting into the DIC system made no difference: still only code C1281.

5. Yet again updated DICs
After some days of driving I checked the DIC's again. The ones in blue are new in comparison to the 25 codes as mentioned in paragraph 2 above:

C1226 H LF Excessive Wheel Speed Variation

99-HVAC (heater, ventilator, airconditioning)

B0-RFA (remote function actuation)
C2120 H C TPM System Malfunction (No Sensors Received)

6. Cleaning ground points
Meanwhile I had started cleaning the car's ground points, as described in this topic and inspired by Bill Curlee's splendid topic as referenced.

Up till now I have cleaned 9 of 13 ground points (not cleaned yet: the 3 engine points and the ABS point nr. G402).

7. Leaking battery?
I thought my battery was leaking. After some testing it appeared that it wasn't battery acid but oil. The stuff didn't at all react to baking soda, for example. Still I decided to purchase a new battery.

8. New battery, renewed DICs
Today I installed the new battery (Optima Red Top). This didn't solve any of the problems as described under paragraph 3. I thought it was a good time to fetch the updated DIC's and here they are (marked in blue: those DICs were not seen before):

10-PCM (powertrain control module)
P1626 H Theft Deterrent System Fuel Enable Circuit*

C1226 H LF Excessive Wheel Speed Variation
C1242 H BPMV Pump Motor Ground Circuit Open
C1255 H EBTCM Internal Malfunction**

99-HVAC (heater, ventilator, airconditioning)

A0-LDCM (Left door control module)
B2264 H Vertical Position Sensor Fault

A1-RDCM (Right door control module)

A6-SCM (Seat Control Module)
B0856 H Battery 2 Out of Range

B0-RFA (remote function actuation)
U1096 H Loss of Communication with IPC
U1064 H Loss of Communication with BCM

*Might have something to do with the fact that ground G401 broke off and i tried to start the car with fuel pump not working

** Might have something to do with the fact that ground G402 -almost- broke off and I have not yet replaced it. Nonetheless this code was seen before so perhaps it has something to with the (much) corroded G402.

First thing I'll fix is ground G402. Then I'll try to find the 3 remaining ground points and clean them.

This all having been said, I was kind of hoping some of you knowledgable folks could give an insight as to what's best done next.

Last edited by Munckhof; 06-20-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:51 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Too much to read right now but I can try to review later. I would suggest you decide what you want to fix next and then start a new Thread on that one thing so we can help. Trying to work more than one thing in a single Thread can get confusing. For those of us that work many issues each day we often have to review the Thread to refresh ourselves on what has been covered. May just be me, but I doubt I am alone in that.

Just include what is pertinent to that issue.

Also delete all present codes so we have what is "fresh" that is related to the issue.

Mr. Sam
Old 06-18-2015, 02:15 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

I strongly suggest you look into getting a Factory Service Manual if you don't already have one. Probably one of the most IMPORTANT items needed when it comes to trouble shooting and repairing a C5.
It has saved my A$$ and many Dollars.
The way I see it,although not cheap by any means, one or two repairs done by yourself and the dollars saved just covered the cost of the manuals!
Old 06-18-2015, 02:57 PM
RXPX
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a little overwhelming looking at the list of DTC's you have. A lot of times they're all due to just one problem.

First thing I'd recommend is to remove and repair your ignition switch. It sends out the proper voltage to a lot of the vehicle's modules. A lot of codes are set due to the PCM not seeing the correct voltage. If it doesn't fix your problem it'll be free preventative maintenance nonetheless.

Here's the thread to fixing that.

You've already gone through a lot of your grounds, so that's good. Definitely take care of the one you said is damaged.

From what I've learned, a lot of your issues are sometimes caused to due a bad serial bus wire/connection or possibly BCM related.

I know removing the 'accordion' tube by the door hinges and inspecting the wires, disconnecting the connectors and inspecting the male/female pins is recommended.

Bill knows much more than me, hopefully he chimes in.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:13 PM
Munckhof
Advanced

Dadaroo, Sg Lou and Rxpx, thank you very much for your replies!

@Dadaroo: I admit that this thread isn't the clearest of threads and it's a lot of information. For me it's a nice overview to maintain and keep up-to-date, so that I can see what's been done to the car (and, if I need to explain anything to anyone, I can refer to this thread). To combine the advantages of this overview-kind of thread and 'specific problem'-threads I'll start individual threads for the respective issues at hand (like I did in the grounds cleaning-thread). I'll use the current thread to update the general electrical status of the car. Hope that's in line with your suggestion and thanks for the good advice.

Re. deletion of codes: I did that about a week ago and the newly arised codes were included in the above post. In total I described 4 series of DIC's, generated during a period of appr. 2 weeks. See paragraphs 2, 4, 5 and 8.

@Sg Lou: actually I ordered the shop manual two weeks ago and I expect to receive it within 2 weeks from now. I also ordered a Tech 2 scanner + Tis2000 laptop and expect to receive that next week. Hopefully those sources will help me solve the mentioned problems but maybe they won't as some issues just come into being due to age... and then only people's experience and technical knowledge may help me.

Of course I'll update on any things the Tech 2 will find out.

@Rxpx: After fixing G402 and cleaning the other 3 ground points, I'll treat the ignition switch as suggested by you. After that I'll inspect the wires / connectors behind the door 'accordion tube'. Thanks very much for these cannot-do-wrong-suggestions.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:14 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Tuned in!
Old 06-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Munckhof
Advanced

9. ABS and TCS
After cleaning grounding points G401 and G402 I received ABS and traction control warning + DTC C1242 ("pump motor circuit open").

Today my Tech 2 scanner arrived and it says "BPMV Relay is Off. Repair as necessary before continuing."

I have opened up a specific thread for this problem, here.

Edit: problem solved, see this post for the solution.

10. Passenger power seat
I was also anxious to see what caused the passenger power seat to not function in any way. Strangely the Tech 2 doesn't seem to 'recognize' the presence of the passenger power seat and only gives control options for the driver seat - which all work well.

I have opened up a specific thread for this problem, here.

Last edited by Munckhof; 06-20-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Munckhof
Advanced

11. ABS / TCS issue solved

The ABS / TCS issue as referred under paragraph 9 above was solved! See this post for the solution.

Get notified of new replies

To The electrical issues of my 1998 convertible

Quick Reply: The electrical issues of my 1998 convertible