C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator failed , ECU Loses control of voltage 2004 C5

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:02 PM
7 OF 10
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator failed , ECU Loses control of voltage 2004 C5

4 alternators have failed, twice now I had to replace ECU to regain regulation of alternator, or replacement alt. won't regulate.
After ECU swapped, re-programmed, re-licensed "HP tuner",
we're back on the road.
Initial failures were due to short to ground, subsequent ones due to above issue.Alt voltage drops 20 - 50 miles after short repaired and alt. replacement.
Fault on DIC is charge system failure, voltmeter drops to 10-9-8 V
Is there a way to regulate alternator external to ECU?
Will my driver info center [DIC] show "charge system failure "
Old 06-22-2015, 09:32 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The PCM in a C5 never controlled the voltage or even turned-on the regulator. There is a lot of BS and misinformation floating around on this forum and the internet about how the charging system on a C5 works. All the PCM does is emulate an idiot light with an internal resistor and then monitor the terminals to ensure the alternator actually starts operating.

So, the stock alternator will operate stand-alone just fine. If you want to disconnect it from the PCM you could just put a light or resistor between 12V switched power and the L terminal on the alternator. Turn-off the L & F terminals in the system settings using HPtuners so the PCM no longer monitors those terminals or gives the charging system faults.

Of course, none of the above will fix the real issue you have which is either a bad connection or a run of bad alternators.

What was shorted to ground?

Last edited by lionelhutz; 06-22-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:17 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Old 06-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The PCM in a C5 never controlled the voltage or even turned-on the regulator. There is a lot of BS and misinformation floating around on this forum and the internet about how the charging system on a C5 works. All the PCM does is emulate an idiot light with an internal resistor and then monitor the terminals to ensure the alternator actually starts operating.

So, the stock alternator will operate stand-alone just fine. If you want to disconnect it from the PCM you could just put a light or resistor between 12V switched power and the L terminal on the alternator. Turn-off the L & F terminals in the system settings using HPtuners so the PCM no longer monitors those terminals or gives the charging system faults.

Of course, none of the above will fix the real issue you have which is either a bad connection or a run of bad alternators.

I agree

When you say SHOTED TO GROUND,,, most of the time people see the picture of SMOKE, FLAMES POPPED FUSES,, etc etc..

Sounds to me like the people that were doing your repairs doesn't understand how a C5 Charging system works..

If you can read a schematic,,, Here's one for your charging system:

EARLY 97-98 C5:

99-to 04

Old 07-11-2015, 10:48 PM
auctiondepot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Bill Curlee;1589908693]I agree

When you say SHOTED TO GROUND,,, most of the time people see the picture of SMOKE, FLAMES POPPED FUSES,, etc etc..

Sounds to me like the people that were doing your repairs doesn't understand how a C5 Charging system works..

Im having the same issue from a short.
What has to be replaced,
Is it the fusible links that need to be replaced?
Where are these?

Thanks in advance.

I found the blown fusible link at the starter, had to remove the header to see it.

It is orange which I think is a 16ga or 12amp equivalent fuse.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...erages.819889/

I think a Maxi fuse sounds like a better idea.

Last edited by auctiondepot; 07-12-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:20 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Is it possible that a faulty alternator could cause the car to cut off at a high rpm?

For example, my car cuts off randomly at high rpm. It's as if I shut off the key and turned it back on. The dash goes dead, and it shuts off the scanner too. It's only for a moment, then it all comes back to life.

I'm checking all the grounds today and looking for a "smoking gun" of sorts... Hope I find it.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Is it possible that a faulty alternator could cause the car to cut off at a high rpm?

For example, my car cuts off randomly at high rpm. It's as if I shut off the key and turned it back on. The dash goes dead, and it shuts off the scanner too. It's only for a moment, then it all comes back to life.

I'm checking all the grounds today and looking for a "smoking gun" of sorts... Hope I find it.

Thanks.
"Is it possible that a faulty alternator could cause the car to cut off at a high rpm?"

NO,,, But it sounds exactly like you are having an IGNITION SWITCH problem... Very common and easy to repair or replace. That would be the VERY FIRST place that I would look first!

I doubt that its a ground issue either.

Try the repair here:

- C5 ignition Switch repair - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html
Old 07-12-2015, 07:29 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Thanks Bill. I'll give it a shot.

Sorry for the hyjack.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:30 PM
7 OF 10
Intermediate

Latest short occurred when Davis GMC LEFT THE Positive battery cable loose.
Previous short was bad trailer wiring, shop used a 50 amp fuse to make problem worse.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:44 PM
7 OF 10
Intermediate

So the C5 is back at Davis GMC.
They diagnosed for 6 hours, want to install another gm alternator, but it has a clutch pulley, tech worries my 8 rib (a&a supercharger )won't swap.
I said hundreds of cars have this 8 rib pulley.
The car is a 6 spd manual, did they come with clutch pulley, or is that an automatic trans. Part.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:01 PM
7 OF 10
Intermediate

Latest short was a poorly installed fuse, 100 amp fuse between battery & fusebox.
Davis GMC zip stripped a plastic fuse holder to an A/C line, above the header.
Previously they left a battery cable loose. Original complaint was ABS light.
First short was another shop, BULLSEYE , who messed up trailer wiring, fused with a 50 amper, to make things melt.
So its back at Davis GMC . 6 hrs diagnosis later they found nothing, tried running 2 new wires from alt. To ECU.
Now they want to install a $450GM reman alternator, in place of the reman I supplied.
I offered to supply a used gm alternator i have in stock.
I hsve asked them to install light or resistor in ECU circuit as suggested.
Tx for the help. I need it with these Lethbridge Alberta shops.
IE : Leth. Peterbilt just did a CVIP inspection on my rig, replaced driveline center bearing , only hand tightened bolts, whole driveline hit the ground 500 meters down the road.
Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I agree

EARLY 97-98 C5:

99-to 04

Old 04-25-2016, 01:39 AM
7 OF 10
Intermediate

Default Repaired by R&R alternator.

Tx. Lionel, it was 3 different incidents of shorts to ground. Leaving my Vette down 16 months.
1 )Bullseye Customs installed Trlr .wiring wrong. I screwed up by plugging in & heading for the drags trip without checking therecwork. They also used a 50 amp fuse off the sub woofer on a 16 gauge trlr. live wire , I never requested...wait for it as, it gets worser.2) Davis GMC of Lethbridge Ab. Canada : left positive battery clamp loose, fried wire to melt starter solenoid. Car died 100 meters from there driveway, they refused to help push it back , I towed it in.
3)Davis blamed header heat, modified vehicle for #2 also indicated ECU must be swapped out as it acts as voltage reg. ( I now know better now tx. To this thread).Davis GMC, (at $125 / hr. )Used an amp kit to rewire, changed scheme to : Alt. to fusebox, to Solenoid but...messed up the job ; they created another melted wire by zip tying a clear plastic cased 100 amp fuse to the metal A/C LINE ! ABOVE THE HEADER, OUT OF SIGHT!
Replaced alt. # 5 Last month , left ecu alone, now all is well.
I

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator failed , ECU Loses control of voltage 2004 C5

Quick Reply: Alternator failed , ECU Loses control of voltage 2004 C5