C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your advice, bardahl fluids for my vette.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 01:51 AM
triaxxxis
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your advice, bardahl fluids for my vette.

Good day, need your advice: I heard great feedbacks for bardahl fluids but never met any vette who tried to change diff and manual transmission for bardahl. Please share your experience, is it better than GM? I am going to change all the fluids, just trying ringing out what is better.
Thx!)
Old 06-23-2015, 05:13 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I can't answer your question about bardahl, my skill levels are quite low.

Even at my pitiful skill level, I would advise that any fluid recommendation for your car have a very detailed reason why it is a better choice than factory fill.

Consider, for simplicity sake, the GM fluids are the correct fluids. Any other fluids are not correct. Other fluids might duplicate the exact function, or excel in function, but unless you know what is going on in enough detail to make an informed decision, my skill level requires the right , wrong simplicity of GM or not GM.

Many people here with high understanding of lubrication that post here can give better advice easily. For instance, on advice posted here that triggered my own facts checking, I will switch from Mobil one, to another motor oil that excels.

I haven't heard about Bardahl since back when old used cars burned oil by the quart and you carried extra radiator water on your front bumper. They used to sponsor an Indy car, back when you read about the big race in Life magazine.
Are you serious ?
I can't imagine anyone worked up about the excellence of the product line, I hope things have changed . I have never seen a gear oil from that company, just the mechanic in a can car repair stuff.

You can mark me down for a "No".
Old 06-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

It depends on what fluids you are changing. And in many cases more slippery is not better.

In particular the differential and transmission need the correct amount of friction to work correctly. Both the synchro's in the transmission and the limited slip clutches in the differential need the right viscosity fluid with the right static friction coefficient to work properly.

If the differential has too slippery a fluid, the clutches will slip and the clutch pack will wear out in very short order (been there and done that, and had to write the check).....

If the transmission lubricant is too slippery, it will be hard to shift and the synchros will wear out sooner.

These are just two examples where "snake oil" lubricants can do more harm than good.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:58 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Only "special" requirement is synthetic in the engine. No additives needed or recommended. Everybody has their favorites, I run Mobil 1 HM 5-30 in the engine, plain old Dexron III in the 6 speed, and the Mobil 1 gear oil in the rear end.

Be careful on the Dex III - you need real Dex III not the current Dex (Dex Vi) which says it supercedes Dex III, but is a no-no for MT boxes.. GM sells an MT fluid, which is basically their old Dex III. Many swear by Amsoil in the trans also. If this is an early car, it will not like synthetic in the MT6 - you will get gear grinding, etc.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:01 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Gang, the OP has 4 posts in 4 years.

I'm thinking troll................
Old 06-25-2015, 04:05 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

Old 06-27-2015, 02:29 AM
triaxxxis
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too far away guys, from Russia. So mostly reeding not writing. So as far as u see no one ever tried bardahl?
Old 06-27-2015, 10:28 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by triaxxxis
Too far away guys, from Russia. So mostly reeding not writing. So as far as u see no one ever tried bardahl?
Don't know, but I have never seen a recommendation for it on here.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:13 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Bardahl fluids are not common in the United States. I have never seen any in a store.

Get notified of new replies

To Need your advice, bardahl fluids for my vette.

Quick Reply: Need your advice, bardahl fluids for my vette.