C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems shifting out of park

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 10:45 PM
kennedy759
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default problems shifting out of park

on my 97 with A4, at the first start of the day in my garage I have to tap the brake pedal several times to engage the solenoid that allows me to shift out of park. once I have drove it and need to restart, no problems. like it only works when it is warm, but not sitting over night in a cool garage. any ideas?
Old 06-24-2015, 12:04 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Not sure which one is you most likely culprit. If you need the FSM info on how to replace each one let me know. Not at home now. You can pick which one seems easier to start with.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:03 PM
kennedy759
Racer

what do you mean which one is the culprit, which one what? I have the FSM
Old 06-25-2015, 06:15 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Brake switch or solenoid. I doubt it is a wiring or connector issue.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:03 AM
kennedy759
Racer

I have read that I can disconnect the wiring to the solenoid to disable it and every thing should work, is this true, the reason I ask is I am 1000 miles from home at a family reunion and may need a quick fix to get home.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:43 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kennedy759
I have read that I can disconnect the wiring to the solenoid to disable it and every thing should work, is this true, the reason I ask is I am 1000 miles from home at a family reunion and may need a quick fix to get home.
I will need to look at the FSM when I get home to see if that will work.

If I did the design it would be locked in Park when it was not powered. That would make sense knowing the brake switch has to be closed also to move out of Park. Maybe removing it entirely would work so it does not hamper moving the shifter.

Not sure if leaving it in Neutral before turning the engine OFF would work. The crank to run circuit uses the different Park/Neutral switch at the tranny, that I know. I would try that right away.

If I remember there is a cable connection from the ignition switch but I can't remember how that interfaces or if my recall is even correct.

I am going to PM you with my home and cell number in case you need to discuss or if I need to provide/post any FSM guidance.

Mr. Sam

Last edited by dadaroo; 06-26-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:16 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

OK, I have looked at the FSM.

In order to crank and start the car you must be in Park or Neutral AND depress the Brake switch. That circuit uses the Park/Neutral switch AT the transmission NOT the Shifter.

The shifter seems to just have lighting and no electrical lock.

The shifter does have a Park Lock cable that is connected to the Ignition switch.

I think if you remove that you can shift out of Park anytime you want. The transmission will still be in Park if the shifter is placed into Park.

Here is how to disconnect the cable.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7hf13z67cx...ement.pdf?dl=0

Here is how to remove the console to access the cable to disconnect it.

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html

None of the above explains the problem you described but we can deal with that later.

I sent you a PM with phone numbers where you can reach me if you need to.

Mr. Sam
Old 06-27-2015, 09:29 AM
kennedy759
Racer

so far if I tap the brakes 3 or 4 times I hear the solenoid engage and I can move it out of park, then its good for the rest of the day
Old 06-27-2015, 09:36 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Is the solenoid sound from the shifter or from the TDR in the passenger foot well?

I will look at the FSM again but I could find NO solenoid at the shifter.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:55 AM
kennedy759
Racer

yes the sound comes from the shifter, the solenoid is located right under the gear indicator. but thinking a little more about what you said about it being hooked to the ignition switch-I am having problems where the radio and a/c don`t come on right away and have ordered a new one to install when I get home.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:57 AM
kennedy759
Racer

my FSM shows the solenoid, I checked before I left home, I figured I would cut open the shifter boot if it locked up and I would rig it to work in a pinch
Old 06-27-2015, 10:04 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Just looked again at the FSM and can find nothing about a solenoid there. I think I will ask an automatic expert about it.

Did you order the key cylinder or the electrical switch? The cable would be connected to the key cylinder. Your other issue could be related to the ignition electrical switch.

In hindsight if the TDR was being activated again then the starter would be trying to turn after you started the car so the solenoid sound could not be it.

Good luck on the trip home. I'll let you know what I find out about a solenoid at the shifter.

Last edited by dadaroo; 06-27-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:07 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Do you remember where you found it? I found the circuit for the bulb there which is controlled by the BCM but no solenoid. I looked every where in the tranny section also. I even looked at al the PCM and BCM connector views and saw nothing that appeared to match.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:25 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I found it. I missed it somehow. I agree that based on the schematic and the operation description if you disconnect the solenoid you should be able to shift out of Park at anytime.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:23 AM
kennedy759
Racer

just drove it and it took a couple of taps on the brake to get it to work, then I tried pushing down the **** on top of the shifter(car running) nothing happened, tapped the brake(with **** pushed down) and the solenoid engaged and I could shift out of park
Old 06-27-2015, 11:41 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I'll keep my fingers crossed it won't let you down to get home. I am very sure though by disconnecting the solenoid it will not give you this problem. It does not seem like the cable is contributing to the problem.

Please update us later. It probably is the solenoid but could be the Brake switch or the Park/Neutral switch in the circuit. I put my money on the solenoid since you say it seems to be temperature related and the solenoid does see temp changes in that location and it is a mechanical interface to lock the shifter.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:57 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

As a PS, I am surprised that this circuit is energized at all times when in Park so it is part of the normal battery drain when the ignition is OFF.

I would have designed it so the solenoid spring left the blocking plunger in place with no power required and would need power from the Brake switch to retract it. My idea would be more fail safe in my opinion.

I will never forget how this feature works. Thanks, I learned something new that is very good info.

Get notified of new replies

To problems shifting out of park

Quick Reply: problems shifting out of park