C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Vette

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 09:20 PM
Blac Avy
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My first Vette

Hi everyone, I'm enjoying all the great threads, articles, and info! I recently became owner of a 98 convertible Corvette, my very first one. It has 66,200 miles and in great shape, There is however one problem I am experiencing. When the car is idling all the lights both interior and exterior flickers every 10-20 seconds, the strange thing is, if I accelerate the engine to higher rpm's the flickering stops and all lights illuminate as expected. Would this be the symptoms of a faulty alternator or something else that may be the culprit? Thank you for your response in resolving this issue!
Old 06-25-2015, 08:54 PM
Blac Avy
Instructor

Hey, I just had to post back up to tell you that I found out what the problem was. After doing some more investigation looking for corrosion and anything that looked abnormal. I found the battery terminals were loose, that I could even move them by hand. Tightened them up and I'm good to go!! All is well! Maybe this would help others who may encounter this problem!
Old 06-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Man you ask for help and answer your own question, you trying to get banned?

Glad you got it sorted out, seems like battery/low voltage/ground issues are the main source of problems with the C5. Great car however.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:09 PM
Big Kidd
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
Welcome to the forum. Man you ask for help and answer your own question, you trying to get banned?

Glad you got it sorted out, seems like battery/low voltage/ground issues are the main source of problems with the C5. Great car however.
I totally agree!! Make sure you keep a good battery in your vette, low battery voltage will cause all kinds of weird issues in these cars.

Welcome to the forum
Old 06-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Blac Avy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Big Kidd
I totally agree!! Make sure you keep a good battery in your vette, low battery voltage will cause all kinds of weird issues in these cars.

Welcome to the forum
LOL, No not trying to get banned, it's just a noobie error Thanks for the heads up and the welcome!!
Old 06-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Default My first Vette

Originally Posted by Big Kidd

Welcome to the forum
I solved a lot of strange little issues with an optima. When I bought my 02 with 72k it had spent a lot of time not being driven and the battery had gotten weak.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Blac Avy
Instructor

I have a small issue besides the battery. My oil pressure gauge is stuck @80 psi. Any hints?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:17 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Welcome to the asylum!
Old 06-28-2015, 09:55 PM
Blac Avy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
Welcome to the asylum!