C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:54 PM
boogienights
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking sound

Hi, just wondering if anybody can help. I bought an '02 Z06 a year ago. The engine shakes a bit after getting warmed sometimes up when at a light or whatever but I've read that's normal. The thing is the ticking noise. I thought it was just at a cold start and had the stealership check it out last August. They replaced the lifters. It still made the noise so I thought it must be normal. But it's not. I finally noticed it wasn't right at start-up like piston slap which is what I thought it was. It happens maybe a minute after being started and seems to go away after being driven. Does anybody have an idea?

Last edited by boogienights; 06-24-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:03 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

My car has made a loud tick that I thought was abnormal since I bought it. Hearing many other corvettes that sound similar, I determined that it must be normal. The LS is a noisy engine, I was terrified at first coming from a world of quiet smooth dohc to noisy rock-the-car ohv.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:31 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Have someone start your car for you... take an old broom handle or dowel rod about 3 foot long and as soon as the ticking starts... put one end of the rod on the motor or part you think is ticking and the other end pressed to your ear... keep searching till you find the exact location of the tick and that may help you decide if it's something to be concerned with or not...
Old 06-25-2015, 09:53 AM
rclinton
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had ticking on cold start up that mostly went away when the engine warmed up. Was convinced that I had a sticky lifter. Before I dove into the engine I checked the exhaust manifold (headers) gasket and found I had an exhaust leak. New GM gasket...fixed.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:40 AM
TwinTurboZ51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I has a similar ticking. It turned out to be one of the idler pullies. Replaced it and no more ticking.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:16 PM
boogienights
Heel & Toe

Thank you everybody. Of course I go buy an automotive stethoscope and it was the first time it didn't really do it, lol. I appreciate the guys.if I figure it out I'll update.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:17 PM
boogienights
Heel & Toe

The funny thing is it's not right at startup, it takes a minute-ish.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:48 AM
red88L98convert
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have something that sounds exactly like what you're describing.....but it's in my 01 Tahoe. Quiet when I start it, then about a minute into it, here comes the ticking. After about 30 seconds to a minute of noise, then, poof, gone!
Old 06-27-2015, 04:37 AM
boogienights
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by red88L98convert
I have something that sounds exactly like what you're describing.....but it's in my 01 Tahoe. Quiet when I start it, then about a minute into it, here comes the ticking. After about 30 seconds to a minute of noise, then, poof, gone!
Yeah, crazy right!? Runs great, sounds good as far as you can hear when driving but ?
Old 06-28-2015, 10:38 AM
red88L98convert
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, it's totally fine. I just let the Tahoe roll with no throttle input until it goes away.....about a half a block. Once it's warmed up, it doesn't do it on restart.

Get notified of new replies

To Ticking sound

Quick Reply: Ticking sound