C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Low Voltage" display? (Help!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 09:16 PM
aramz06
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default "Low Voltage" display? (Help!)

The issue began about 2 days ago. The car randomly would not start and the display read "Low Voltage". Eventually the car started and I took it to Autozone to get a new battery, but they ran the test and said the battery was perfectly fine, but they said it may be an alternator issue. I took the car to my mechanic and he said that everything on the car read fine on the scanner. Does anyone know exactly what this "Low Voltage" sign is indicating? I need this issue fixed asap! Any input is appreciated.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:41 AM
aramz06
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Define "would not start. No crank??? Cranks but engine will not turn over and run???

According to the owners manual when the voltmeter voltage is 10 Volts or less the message "Low Voltage" is displayed.

Do you have any other symptoms???

Pull the codes and post them. Include the H or C or HC that follow each 5 character code. List the codes under the sensor they are displayed under. ie 10 - PCM, or 28 - TCS, or 40 - BCM..... etc.

OR

http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php

Thank you for the response! I will check the codes tomorrow and post them.

The engine would crank but would not turn over. But if I kept trying, it would eventually turn over. A few times it would turn over, but shut down within 2-5 seconds.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:00 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Have you ever had the ignition electrical switch replaced? It could explain your issues. We have some diagnostics for that. We'll wait to see what codes you have first.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:52 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I knew it was in your plan. I was just interested if he had ever replaced it.

OP, as we both said, we want to see codes so we can do diagnostics and not throw parts at it.

Once we see them we probably will need you to reset/delete them so we can see what is going on now. Probably been a long time since they have been cleared out.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:03 PM
aramz06
Racer

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Have you ever had the ignition electrical switch replaced? It could explain your issues. We have some diagnostics for that. We'll wait to see what codes you have first.
My thought exactly but I usually like to see codes, also as you suggest.....
Hey guys, thanks again for the responses. I have only owned the car for a year, so I am not sure if the electrical switch has been replaced, but I know I never replaced it since I owned it. I did get some codes though. Let me know if these help you guys come to some conclusion!

60-IPC has 8 codes:

B0516 H
B0521 H
U1016 H
U1064 H
U1040 H
U1160 H
U1088 H
U1176 H

99-HVAC has 1 code:

B0333 H C

AO -IDCM has 4 codes:

B2282 H
B2286 H
B2284 H
U1064 H

A1-RDCM has 4 codes:

B2283 H
B2285 H
B2265 H
U1065 H

Should I reset these codes? Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:32 PM
eddiekay
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low voltage display

had the same issue last year with my 2000 vert. battery was 10 months old, replaced alternator and ignition switch. still had problem-it ended up being a simple battery cable terminal. it crumbled in my hand. replaced it with 5 minutes of my time and $5. voltage went back to normal, it's been a year and no voltage issues. problem fixed. hope this helps
Old 06-27-2015, 10:03 PM
aramz06
Racer

Originally Posted by eddiekay
had the same issue last year with my 2000 vert. battery was 10 months old, replaced alternator and ignition switch. still had problem-it ended up being a simple battery cable terminal. it crumbled in my hand. replaced it with 5 minutes of my time and $5. voltage went back to normal, it's been a year and no voltage issues. problem fixed. hope this helps
Wow I should try this regardless just to see if it could be the problem. Thanks for the input!

Suggest that you clear all the codes (see video for how to do that) then take the car for a nice ride, When you get back pull the codes BEFORE you shut off the engine.

Too pull codes with the engine running you MUST first clear all messages displayed in the DIC using the Reset button. Then pull codes as normal.

Post the codes that come back as those are the ones you need to adress.

Right now the codes you have indicate something going on with the battery. Was it recently disconnected? Are the battery cables clean and tight? Does the car have headers? If so heat from the headers will often cause the battery connection to the solenoid on the starter to loosen.

Any wet spots on the passenger side floor???

Alright so when I cleared the codes, the HVAC one (B0333 H C) wouldn't go away, everything else did. I drove the car for about 20 minutes and checked again with the engine running as you suggested, and B0333 H C was still the only code there. So what could this mean?

Also, no there are no wet spots on the passenger side floor, and I do not have aftermarket headers. I do have electric cutouts right near the cats though. I doubt those are causing the car not to start though. Please let me know what you think. Thanks a bunch!
Old 06-27-2015, 10:28 PM
aramz06
Racer

B0333 is " Outside Air Temp Sensor Open" . Has absolutely nothing to do with the symptoms you reported.

See this thread for where the OAT is located:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...re-sensor.html

Did the Low Voltage return???
It did not. The only time Low Voltage was displayed was AFTER the car did not turn over. I am in the process of selling the car, and need to resolve this issue. Could it simply be a strange battery issue? Because when I jump started the car, it turned on just fine... But Autozone says that the battery is fine.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:41 PM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the "low voltage" message come up as soon as you turn the key on the first time or after the car fails to start several times? (just read your post indicating that the low voltage only appears after the car fails to start)

What year is your car?

Also, parts stores know how to test batteries about as good as I know how to tap dance. Testing the battery of a car that was recently run can and likely will result in the "surface charge" corrupting the test. The result being that a bad battery tests good.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:51 PM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think this is an electrical issue I think that more likely this is a fuel issue. This can be verified with a fuel pressure gauge short of a fuel pressure gauge, the next time this happens cycle the key to on and wait 2 seconds, then back off without starting. This will allow the fuel pump to prime the lines if fuel has leaked down back to the tank and the car will start on the next try after the three key cycle prime. The returnless fuel injection system started in 99. These systems have the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel filter and are prone to failure. The symptoms are basically what you describe and can be intermittent. This is all a hunch. But, if it were in my shop we would be checking fuel pressure before starting and checking fuel pressure bleed down and ruling that out or in before moving forward.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:03 AM
teejerdude
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aramz06, here's my experience with this issue in case it helps. I purchased my 1998 vette in January (with no warranty) and had a low voltage issue within a couple weeks. With the car running, my dash gauges and my multi-meter were consistently only showing somewhere around 11 volts and the car would not start. I believe I was getting the "low voltage" message (it's been a few months with multiple beers between now and then...). The dealer had installed a "new" battery, but it was refurbished (I didn't know there was such a thing as a refurbished car battery), so first thing I did was replace the battery. All was good for a couple weeks...until the battery drained down. I then replaced the alternator which was a super easy job that only took about 30 minutes thanks to instructions on this forum, and everything has worked perfectly for the past four to five months. Gauges now consistently show over 13 volts and the car starts strong every time. I didn't buy an expensive alternator; I got it from Pep Boys for about $150 w/discounts, and it works great. I wasn't 100% sure the alternator would fix my problem, but it was the logical next step for me. And for only $150, the risk was very low and it paid off big time. I hope this insight helps, and good luck as you work out your low voltage issue.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:00 PM
aramz06
Racer

Originally Posted by Russell Boulding
Does the "low voltage" message come up as soon as you turn the key on the first time or after the car fails to start several times? (just read your post indicating that the low voltage only appears after the car fails to start)

What year is your car?

Also, parts stores know how to test batteries about as good as I know how to tap dance. Testing the battery of a car that was recently run can and likely will result in the "surface charge" corrupting the test. The result being that a bad battery tests good.
The Low Voltage sign would only come up either after I tried starting the car but it wouldn't turn over, or if it turned over, and then shut down again after about 3 seconds. My car is a 2002 z06. I'm thinking of just replacing the battery just for peace of mind. Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by Russell Boulding
I don't think this is an electrical issue I think that more likely this is a fuel issue. This can be verified with a fuel pressure gauge short of a fuel pressure gauge, the next time this happens cycle the key to on and wait 2 seconds, then back off without starting. This will allow the fuel pump to prime the lines if fuel has leaked down back to the tank and the car will start on the next try after the three key cycle prime. The returnless fuel injection system started in 99. These systems have the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel filter and are prone to failure. The symptoms are basically what you describe and can be intermittent. This is all a hunch. But, if it were in my shop we would be checking fuel pressure before starting and checking fuel pressure bleed down and ruling that out or in before moving forward.
You know, my mechanic did say that his scanner was giving him the indication that it was a fuel issue too, but said he had a hard time connecting the Low Voltage sign to a fuel issue. I will definitely have him expand on this. Thanks.

Originally Posted by teejerdude
aramz06, here's my experience with this issue in case it helps. I purchased my 1998 vette in January (with no warranty) and had a low voltage issue within a couple weeks. With the car running, my dash gauges and my multi-meter were consistently only showing somewhere around 11 volts and the car would not start. I believe I was getting the "low voltage" message (it's been a few months with multiple beers between now and then...). The dealer had installed a "new" battery, but it was refurbished (I didn't know there was such a thing as a refurbished car battery), so first thing I did was replace the battery. All was good for a couple weeks...until the battery drained down. I then replaced the alternator which was a super easy job that only took about 30 minutes thanks to instructions on this forum, and everything has worked perfectly for the past four to five months. Gauges now consistently show over 13 volts and the car starts strong every time. I didn't buy an expensive alternator; I got it from Pep Boys for about $150 w/discounts, and it works great. I wasn't 100% sure the alternator would fix my problem, but it was the logical next step for me. And for only $150, the risk was very low and it paid off big time. I hope this insight helps, and good luck as you work out your low voltage issue.
My car has always read over 13 volts. That is why I have a hard time believing its the battery. But it may be worth a shot. I didn't know you can replace the alternator with a generic pep boys one. That is interesting. I am going to return the car to my mechanic on Monday and relay everything you all have suggested. Will definitely keep you guys posted. Thanks again!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:47 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I'd try pulling the wires off the solenoid and cleaning the connections. Sand the terminals clean and wire brush the stud and bolt before putting it back together. Cheap and easy to attempt.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:24 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

I have this happen to my 03z

the fix was a loose wire on the starter, I tightened it up and its been good ever since
Old 06-30-2015, 12:40 AM
aramz06
Racer

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I'd try pulling the wires off the solenoid and cleaning the connections. Sand the terminals clean and wire brush the stud and bolt before putting it back together. Cheap and easy to attempt.
Originally Posted by Stroker87
I have this happen to my 03z

the fix was a loose wire on the starter, I tightened it up and its been good ever since
I relayed both of your experiences to my mechanic. Thanks for the input.

Latest update: The car died on me again as I was leaving work. Had it jump started, and it only got me about two miles down the road before the engine shut off again. A tow truck came by, tested the battery and alternator and told me that they both are in perfect condition. He jump started it one more time and I drove it straight to my mechanic. Decided to just rent a car and leave the car with my mechanic for a few days if that's what it takes. He wants to figure it out just as much as I do without charging me for every hour he spends on trying to work it out. He also believes this is either a fuel pressure issue or an ignition switch. I will get an update from him tomorrow and post it here.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 06-30-2015, 12:43 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

That is really sounding like the ignition switch.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:51 PM
aramz06
Racer

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
That is really sounding like the ignition switch.
So the ignition switch was replaced today. So far no issues. I will keep this thread updated if anything changes. Thanks for the input everyone. Very helpful.

Get notified of new replies

To "Low Voltage" display? (Help!)

Quick Reply: "Low Voltage" display? (Help!)