C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need fuel pump harness pinout

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Lou99Vette
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need fuel pump harness pinout

Anyone have the pinout for the fuel pump harness?

I've searched online, and in the wiring diagram that I have, but can only find wiring diagrams for the fuel pump fuse and relay circuit... nothing for the actual harness pinout.

My car died this week... no fuel pressure. Just got it towed home and popped off the drivers side rear wheel. I had already checked out the fuse and relay in the engine compartment, so my plan was to check the voltage at the pump... then I found the following:

So at least I most likely don't need a fuel pump (the fuel pump connector cleaned up okay, once I removed the part that was stuck in it from the wiring harness). So I just want to know the pinout so I can use a bench top power supply to check that the pump is still functioning.

Also, if anyone knows the part number or know where I can get a replacement harness connector that would be appreciated. I plan to solder and shrink tube the new connector on.

Last edited by Lou99Vette; 06-27-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:16 PM
Lou99Vette
Intermediate

I've narrowed down the pinout:

black = gnd
one of the grays = 12v to pump

If anyone knows where I can get a replacement harness connector it would be greatly appreciated.

edit: confirmed pump is good Just need new harness connector.

Last edited by Lou99Vette; 06-27-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Lou99Vette
Intermediate

Found a replacement connector for ~$20. Here's a link to it if anyone goes through the same issue as me: http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a...2417_992509_0/

My old one was missing the rubber insert... which I guess is how water got in to corrode the contacts.

edit: it's also ACDelco PT2296

Last edited by Lou99Vette; 06-29-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:36 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Nice job of trouble shooting and good find on the replacement pigtail.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:39 PM
Lou99Vette
Intermediate

Replaced the connector, but it's still not starting (there is 12V at the connector while the ignition is on, for a short period of time, like it's supposed to). I think the contacts on the pump end aren't making good contact, since there was corrosion in the whole connector. It's impossible to fit sandpaper in there.

Searching on the net I found a couple methods for cleaning the contacts in similar connectors. One guy said he uses a tiny drill bit, and wrap steel wool around the tip like a Q-Tip. Others said to use baking soda.

Anyone have any other tricks for getting in such tight places?

Last edited by Lou99Vette; 06-30-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Lou99Vette
Replaced the connector, but it's still not starting (there is 12V at the connector while the ignition is on, for a short period of time, like it's supposed to). I think the contacts on the pump end aren't making good contact, since there was corrosion in the whole connector. It's impossible to fit sandpaper in there.

Searching on the net I found a couple methods for cleaning the contacts in similar connectors. One guy said he uses a tiny drill bit, and wrap steel wool around the tip like a Q-Tip. Others said to use baking soda.

Anyone have any other tricks for getting in such tight places?
Have you checked the FP ground located on the frame stud nearby? No ground, no pump.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Lou99Vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Have you checked the FP ground located on the frame stud nearby? No ground, no pump.
The ground in the harness (the part I just replaced) works fine; if that is connected to the same ground your referring to.

My guess is either the ground on the other connector end (pump) is either corroded and not making contact, or it isn't electrically connected to the pump anymore. When I was testing the pump with a bench power supply, I couldn't get it to go until I moved my ground point from the pump connector ground to the chassis of the pump. I just attributed that to not being able to make a good contact with the pin.

I took the 2nd half of the day off from work to figure it out. Hopefully it just needs to be cleaned better.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Lou99Vette
Intermediate

Fixed it

I used a tool for removing the pins in computer molex connectors. And packed one end with steel wool. Inserted it over each pin, and then spun it to clean up the contact:

I also used some coke (soda) on it for a bit... not sure if it helped or not, but it's a mild acid and will supposedly clean up oxidation.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:46 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Lou99Vette
Fixed it

I used a tool for removing the pins in computer molex connectors. And packed one end with steel wool. Inserted it over each pin, and then spun it to clean up the contact:

I also used some coke (soda) on it for a bit... not sure if it helped or not, but it's a mild acid and will supposedly clean up oxidation.
Excellent idea on the pin removal tool. The hollow tube looks like "just what the Dr ordered".
Old 07-02-2015, 11:14 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

If that does not work use a Q-Tip and soak it with a liquid type cleanser that has a cleaning grit in it or a toothpaste that is similar.

Get notified of new replies

To Need fuel pump harness pinout

Quick Reply: Need fuel pump harness pinout