C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 02:56 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default AC issue

Is there something else that would make a AC compressor cycle on and off besides low Freon? I have never had any issues with my AC, but a couple weeks ago, one side was cool the other cold, so I added a can of Freon. The next time I drive it, it was pretty cool, but I noticed the engine surging and the compressor button blinking. I checked the low side with a gauge (Im not very experienced with them) and it was around 40-45 when engaged, and would surge to 90 when the compressor disengaged. (Temp is 95)
There are NO dependable AC guys in this area, so don't have a lot of options.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 06-28-2015, 05:40 AM
f1reb1rd
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Default ac reading

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
Is there something else that would make a AC compressor cycle on and off besides low Freon? I have never had any issues with my AC, but a couple weeks ago, one side was cool the other cold, so I added a can of Freon. The next time I drive it, it was pretty cool, but I noticed the engine surging and the compressor button blinking. I checked the low side with a gauge (Im not very experienced with them) and it was around 40-45 when engaged, and would surge to 90 when the compressor disengaged. (Temp is 95)
There are NO dependable AC guys in this area, so don't have a lot of options.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
you did not state what the hi side reading was but with that info only sounds like orifice tube might be sticking it regulates pressure on both sides.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:21 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by f1reb1rd
you did not state what the hi side reading was but with that info only sounds like orifice tube might be sticking it regulates pressure on both sides.
Thanks F1
I asked because I had read somewhere that a pressure switch is sometimes the culprit and cause the compressor to cycle on and off.
I have very little experience with AC systems, other than changing a few O-rings and adding Freon occasionally

Get notified of new replies

To AC issue

Quick Reply: AC issue